What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Naval 20mm

orcutteod

I picked up this German Naval marked 20mm flak shell yesterday with a wood projectile, looks like the projectile maybe original which is a surprise to me according to a reply from another forum. Anyhow who ever made it did a nice job. I'm not sure what the markings mean underneath the Naval proof. The person I got this shell from had no idea what it was he thought it was a 25mm which it clearly is not.
(The wooden bullet is original from what I can see. They made wooden bullet blanks for training in this caliber. They were used in the FLAK guns as well as the others. I've got some original ammo for the AT guns and the Flak guns and the only real difference is the projectile. The AA stuff is HE where the AT gun ammo is solid hardened steel with or without a tracer. At one time I had a dummy round which was solid steel and a friend has a dummy that is chrome plated with a drawn steel simulated projectile spot welded in to the neck. Lots of variations on these rounds.)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Wooden projectile is original, and fits with the case. The case has this rimmed edge around indicating practice round. Nice find as Kriegsmarine!

Thanks for the confirmation. I also noticed the shell has serrated lines near the base which I have never noticed before on 20mm flak rounds.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 41