What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Sectioned Depth Charge (M)

ron3350

I am re-posting this thread which appeared 21-8-16 by my friend Darkman to hopefully get new information.
The pistol belongs with the depth charge as both have official tags with matching numbers.
Marked: On Her Majesty's Service 643 N1V Depth Charge "M" .
Pistol is tagged: 643 N1V Pistol Depth Charge Mark 13X.
Stamped on the body is: DCM MO AN 0000. That is Maribyrnong Ordnance. ME is Maribyrnong Explosives Filling Factory.
Pistol has settings for SAFE, 100 and 150.

Dimensions: 280mm Diam. (285 at flared top). 360mm long. 90mm Pistol hole. Dated 6/11/43. Weight 18.5kg (41lb approx).

3jc0fgHoT0O7OH8sNJMeSA_thumb_1fa.jpg6VpLMNkXTsKkeJGixtFm5g_thumb_1fb.jpg7nqv0Oj3QYCA0jowOA4Etg_thumb_1fc.jpg3G+TJiaMQcC%Xrn8xh62Gw_thumb_202.jpg3x6S1nwIR7avbteamkmEWg_thumb_1fd.jpgAlcmMxpFTzGL%Fk4hMCCSQ_thumb_201.jpg

Excuse me for asking, but are you shure this is the right pistol for this depth charge?
It seems strange to me that the detonator (picture 5 right side of the picture) stiks out into the water, and is not placed in the explosive charge. With pictures 2 and 3 it is removed from the pistol as not to damage it. A booster charge should be placed below the detonator, that is pushed over the detonator by increasing waterpressure as the depth charge sinks in the water. With this construction there is no room for that.
I am aftraid that this fuze does not belong to thius depth charge which is -looking at the slotted holes- meant to be thown overboard manually when passing over the suspected position of a submarine.

pzgr40
I think you may be correct. The detonator does look a bit long and was bent. It came with the item I just assumed it was correct.
I know little about depth charges and pistols. Comments are mainly about the small size.What charge suits this pistol?
I want to learn anything about it and appreciate your comments. Thanks. Ron.

Further to the above reply. I see the tag is Her Majesty's and later than the 1943 period so was put together or tagged at some later date.
As a question, how is the bottom of the pistol channel sealed? Item came from a military museum when sold to me. Mis-matched it seems.

here are some pictures from an original 1930s catalogue(this depth charge is dated 1931)
your markings should be similar to these
obviously restored by a museum for intrest/display
if the tag is genuine(more than likely not)it would be HIS majestys for that period

Attachments

• P1030536.JPG
    P1030536.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1030535.JPG
    P1030535.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 32
  • P1030538.JPG
    P1030538.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 24
  • P1030537.JPG
    P1030537.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 24
It has lifing rings and no hand slots. I think the catalogue shows the Mk.7 depth charge.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
A bit rude to ask a price but was around $550 in 2010 so was not cheap. I pay this price for any good grenade or mine now-a-days.
You either buy when you see it from some collection or gun show or never see another. Then you regret it - too high or missed out.
All militaria is now costly in Australia since it cannot be imported and makes the current values higher than I want to pay.
Thanks Kiwieod for your information.

I paid 300pound for my MkXX Depth charge pistol in 2018 . With a rate of 1,75 AusD for 1 pound I paid 525 AusD for my pistol only. You got the depth charge -of a type I have never seen before and I think is quite rare- with it. So you made a very good deal, even although the pistol and the depth charge probably do not belong together.

One of your fellow countrymen also offers one .....
http://www.cmmilitaryantiques.com/gallery.php?arid=9412
And he's a lot more expensive.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I do not look at ebay much and not this site. How fat is my wallet at this time? You may be to blame if I buy it.
No offences but I am not familiar with current prices but it does seem $200 to dear. Thanks for the chat. Ron.
I should stick to the thread posting. I am learning about Pistols and mines .

My last posting was removed. Why? It was a joke. I merely meant that if I bought a nice item for the collection I may have to eat baked beans till I paid for it. No offence or blame on anyone. Please be light hearted. Ron.