What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MkV1 Tube ,Vent Adaptor.

ron3350

I hope this is the correct name for this adaptor I found it in a 1918 dated 12Pr 12CWT Navy case.
I have tried to find one with the brass magazine that screws onto the top for years. They maybe common in UK but not Australia.
It contains a percussion (4 nicks in the rim) 0.4" Tube Vent I read as MkX1 (or is it Mk1X?) so looks like a WW2 re-use.
The brass dome is stamped G symbol C for Gramophone Co. arrow 1 so it is a Mk1 igniter.
The adaptor headstamp is hard to read. Fancy Lu monogram? V1 N.

Most of the 12Pr 12 CWT cases I find have missing or cut-off primers so they will stand up. Very happy with this item.

7QOnVWBxRAW5G5ZKIiRm1Q_thumb_257.jpgIfagHA0kS9CkpsqRO5wR2g_thumb_254.jpgsfc5d+FFQJ+vLYVTKjJ0hQ_thumb_255.jpgs48CQ90oTbeGIxsJ3EpLsA_thumb_256.jpgpFUZjcSjQ8ejWGZhOh38+Q_thumb_258.jpgswqhI9AjQf2dYvaV6QfiaA_thumb_259.jpg

The monogram is L & M - Linotype & Machinery Co., Broadheath, Altrincham, Cheshire.

TimG

12Pr 12Cwt a.jpeg12Pr 12Cwt b.jpg12Pr 12Cwt c.jpegI add to this old post of mine to keep similar information together.
I just got a 12Pr 12Cwt case ECC 1942 with a percussion vent tube adaptor marked V1N and R.E & S in a shield. It has a scarce Australian 0.4" percussion vent tube made by MF and filled at ME. First one I have found.
The hexagonal booster is stamped E.C Co in a shield. It is a bit worn. Who can identify both of these UK makers in shields?

The other booster above is made by the Gramophone Co. Has anybody else unscrewed and photographed these various booster makers?
Note that you need a 32mm socket and extension bar or a 34mm socket IF the top has expanded when fired (to undo the booster).

Last edited:
R.E. & S. - Evered Co., Surrey Works, Smethwick, Birmingham.

E.C. Co., - I think this is most likely - Enfield Clock Co., Pretoria Road, Edmonton, London, N18. INCORRECT - See next post.

The pheon within the diamond is an Admiralty symbol, roughly equivalent to a 'material transfer stamp.'

TimG

Last edited:
RE&S - Evered & Co., Smethwick

The other monogram looks more like E&Co in a shield, which would match Elkington & Co. The company used that monogram in WWI when they made fuzes.

Both Evered and Elkington are described in the online Grace's Guide.

Note the mark stamped is VI (Roman "six"), not V1.

Edit: Tim just beat me to it, although we differ on the second firm - depends on whether EC Co. or E& Co.

Last edited:
I thanks you both. Sorry I gave the wrong info in the shield but it was worn.
Nice to see silver platers and gramophone companies joining the united war effort to make items.