What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

50 BMG 1940 variations

copdoc

I thought this might be interesting. Two variations of FA 50 BMG dummys from same year. I had forgotten I had them.

FA 40, Ni plated, brass case, solid steel, non jacketed bullet

FA 4, Zinc plated, steel case, copper jacketed steel bullet.2018-06-12 16.04.13.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-06-12 16.03.29.jpg
    2018-06-12 16.03.29.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 51
I've read somewhere that a single 4 is actually 44 instead of 40.
I have a few WW2 FA .30 M2 ball cartridges that dropped the "4" in 44, headstamped also reads "4". Numerous cartridge collectors have said it was common for 1944 cartridges to drop a 4, and somehow saved money. I would have to dig through many cans to find it and take a picture...I found them, top can, they are marked FA 4 and FA 31, dummy loading cartridges...I have more " 4" ball rounds some where, just am not up to opening up all the cans.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen, that makes sense. Somehow I missed that fact.
Thank you, I found a whole assortment of WW2 and pre rounds in that forgotten can, jap 6.5 and 7.7, Italian 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano, a bunch of WW1 US rounds, WW2 red tipped tracers, Den SL TW AP and ball, German boxed 8mm, Brit boxed 303, Russian ww1 and Finn 1937 7.62....Vickers cloth belts, US cloth belts, ....getting old....probably should sell it off.

Last edited:
Nice group to find.

I'm getting old too but I'm going to shoot all of mine. Nothing but empty brass left. I want them to cry when I'm gone.

M1 Dummy on the left, M2 Dummy on the right. Hole placement is the difference. M1 dummy hole wasn't visible when in the link, so they were afraid someone would mistake them for live rounds. M2 Dummy, the hole was moved. There's now an M2A1 Dummy, holes, flutes (ala UK Drill) and chromed like back in the M1 Dummy era.