What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lettering a 1944 155mm 155G.

I would like to letter my WW2 dated 155G projectile. My source is the WW2 Tm9.. But I do not know the lettering size and full designation on the shell. From this page, I can not see if it even mentions " HE" , the illustration does not show all of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Comments needed. I mathematically calculated the size of letters by measuring heights on the drawing and my shell. I came up with 1" large letters, 1/2" small letters, with 1/2" spacing between rows. The four weight marking punched "dots" appear way lower on my shell as compared to the diagram, I would not want to jack with those. Here is what I came up with. Also, the diagram shows Lot number, the lot " number" on my shell says " Lot-106-69-1942 LET", should I letter image.jpeg hat entire number on the shell in the Lot row? See picture for my planned placement.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
IMG_20180613_073202356~2.jpgThis is the Ordnance drawing for the M107 howitzer shell, obviously yours is an M102 so should also say 155G but all other markings should be the same. If you want to put an AIC code, it will be specific to the shell filling. I have the codes but not in front of me, 155 gun used a P1 prefix. The lot code on your shell is likely the number for the forging. The printed code on the shell is for the filling so not the same. Your size estimates for the letters was spot on but the gaps should be 3/8".

View attachment 143764This is the Ordnance drawing for the M107 howitzer shell, obviously yours is an M102 so should also say 155G but all other markings should be the same. If you want to put an AIC code, it will be specific to the shell filling. I have the codes but not in front of me, 155 gun used a P1 prefix. The lot code on your shell is likely the number for the forging. The printed code on the shell is for the filling so not the same. Your size estimates for the letters was spot on but the gaps should be 3/8".

Tankbarrell, many thanks. A few more questions, opinions welcomed. 1) I would like to put the engraved number "106-69-42" as the lot number because it is faint and will probably be unreadable when it is painted. 2) The shell body has 4 , 1/4" holes drilled in the body, I prefer to leave them open and not fill them, only because that is original and the way I received it. This shell sat in a GI surplus shop in Miami for many years, at least since the sixties, when the owner moved up here to Atlanta and recently sold it. 3) As the shell is empty, I will probably not put the AIC code on. This will turn into a huge project in itself as I plan to stabilize the interior which has a lot of rust, and will skim fill many of the tiny rust holes....the shell finish currently has visible lathe turning marks which I would like to keep intact and visible if possible. Many thanks, I will post photos as the project advances.

Last edited:
You're welcome! Interesting that you have an M78 CP fuze fitted to yours, I fitted one to mine too. My M102 came with batch of M107 shells, I think it is a rarer shell over here.
IMG_20180419_155858865.jpg

You're welcome! Interesting that you have an M78 CP fuze fitted to yours, I fitted one to mine too. My M102 came with batch of M107 shells, I think it is a rarer shell over here.
View attachment 143781
What year is the one on the far right, with the M78 fuze?(mine is marked an M101, 1942). I noticed the wide driving band, which makes it a 155G. I am confused, which one is the M102? I have a 12-44 dated T105 fuze on mine, and a 2-45 dated M78 spare.

Last edited:
You got me motivated, I am soaking the inside of mine with industrial Phosphoric acid, nasty stuff. Been three hours, looks like most of the rust is gone, lots of fizzing going on inside.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 18
Sorry, I meant M101, that'll teach me to go from memory! M102 was the earlier 155 how projectile, istr. I'll check the date tomorrow.
My cp fuze is a T105.

Sorry, I meant M101, that'll teach me to go from memory! M102 was the earlier 155 how projectile, istr. I'll check the date tomorrow.
My cp fuze is a T105.
About the T105 and M78. I hauled a large portion of Ordnance to a city historical event a few years back...a WW2 vet was looking at the collection and pointed straight to the M78 fuze ,...he recalled he remembered using those "new" fuzes in the Pacific to get the Japs in their caves....he was a Marine Redleg, I did not catch the island he was on, I just let him go on...he was the guest speaker in the historical museum event.

I don't know if this will help...but its a cool pic of 155's....

Attachments

• n5HrSf6.jpg
    n5HrSf6.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 54
I have a report from the Artillery in the ETO where they talk about the 155 and the concrete fuze. It mentioned it was particularly effective in the 155mm gun, much less so in the 155 howitzer. As in many things, velocity matters!

What year is the one on the far right, with the M78 fuze?(mine is marked an M101, 1942). I noticed the wide driving band, which makes it a 155G. I am confused, which one is the M102? I have a 12-44 dated T105 fuze on mine, and a 2-45 dated M78 spare.

My M101 is 1956 and the fuze is dated 12-44.

I don't know if this will help...but its a cool pic of 155's....
Thanks for the picture. I got busy and researched the Long Tom gun, (155G) it was in service by 1940. I read somewhere artillery shells were painted yellow then and the end of 1942 they started painting them Green. As my M101 is dated 1942- would I be correct in painting it the ordnance yellow as your picture shows? It would be of great interest if I had an earlier correct yellow paint scheme. Comments please.

My M101 is 1956 and the fuze is dated 12-44.
I had a talk with a 155mm Vietnam gunner a few years back, he mentioned some of their ammo was " from WW2". I never did get the details, were the projectiles WW2 dated...or fuzes?...interesting he mentioned that.

Last edited:
Progress, after acid washing the interior I stripped the exterior, took forever. Nice markings uncovered, a flaming bomb just below the driving ring, four weight stamps, the original stamping (155mm 1942 M101...) and centered in body punched " X20 R". The lathe turning marks are visible, and I did not need to do any filling. Not sure I like the " new issued" look, but at least it is now stabilized, and rust free.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg