What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 45mm Canister Rounds

M8owner

Up till now, I have not even seen a picture of the 45mm canister rounds anywhere. The bakelite version was offered to me by an old collector in the USA who is getting out of the game. After I bought the bakelite, I was asked if I wanted the steel version also. So, I bought both. He put a high price on them, and I paid it. The bakelite is approx. 240 mm long and the steel one is about 220mm. The bakelite is a Sch-240, and the steel is a Sch-243. Both complete rounds share the same designation as USch-243.

Attachments

• Russian 45mm Canister Rounds9pg.jpg
    Russian 45mm Canister Rounds9pg.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Russian 45mm Canister Rounds.jpg
    Russian 45mm Canister Rounds.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 64
    249.3 KB · Views: 65
    325 KB · Views: 80
    297.9 KB · Views: 60
    319.6 KB · Views: 62
    233.4 KB · Views: 57
    291.2 KB · Views: 61
    310.2 KB · Views: 99
Hi

Soviet cannon book says the bakelite one is SHCH210 (щ-210) and the steel one is SHCH240 (щ-240) (old type)
See pics :

Image3.jpg Image4.jpg

S.

Thank you for the drawings. However, I note that the details on the construction of the steel version in your document are not correct. There are no bakelite parts in the steel version, and it does not mention the three steel segments inside the steel outer shell. I used the designations from: http://www.russianammo.org/Russian_Ammunition_Page_57mm.html#24. There are two types of bakelite projectiles with the longer one being the Sch-210. It seems the lengths from all the sources do not match my examples. So, I agree that the bakelite example I have could be a Sch-210. I also have two other references that show the steel version as the Sch-240, so this could be correct also. The attached Finnish document shows the correct steel construction.

Attachments

• Russian 45mm Canister.jpg
    Russian 45mm Canister.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I have attached more documentation from the Russian 45mm ammo manuals. They only discuss the Sch-240 canister projectile, but I cannot tell if this is bakelite or steel. The complete round is listed as the USch-243.

Attachments

• Page from Russian 45 mm AT ammo manual.jpg
    Page from Russian 45 mm AT ammo manual.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Page from Russian 45mm ammo manual.jpg
    Page from Russian 45mm ammo manual.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Spectacular. I don't recall reading anything about them in any of the books on the Russian Front I have read.
Do you know when they came into service or anything about their general availability during the war?

I believe the steel one has a date of 1933 on it. It is my understanding that these are extremely rare to find, so I am going to guess they did not make that many.

I found another bakelite 45mm canister round. It shipped out of Russia and cost much less than the first two. This one is still sealed and contains its load of lead balls. They are loose packed as I can hear them rolling around - that is unusual for a canister round. Most canister rounds have some sort of filler between the balls to keep them from moving. It looks like the "Law of Three's" is in effect - when things happen, they happen three at a time.

Attachments

• Russian 45mm canister bakelite2.jpg
    Russian 45mm canister bakelite2.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Russian 45mm canister bakelite.jpg
    Russian 45mm canister bakelite.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: