What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Red fade To Orange on 18prs and other types.

Gspragge

Premium Member
Normally when one finds an 18 pr the colour on the projectiles is an orange colour, if
the colour code bands are still present.
It is accepted that this was originally Red but over times it turns Orange.
To day I picked up this English coal scuttle , these are not rare but finding one in what was Chinese
Red is not common, plus the original decoration on the lid. What it has in common with 18 prs is that
the red has changed to orange over time and light exposure. For once there is a direct comparison.
Under the handles and hinges the protected area is still the original colour. Also the bottom and back are
less orange than the more exposed areas. Now the paint mix is unknown but is likely similar if not a better
quality than that used on military items that are not expected to last for years and years. I think
this example though not military is rather instructive ~

Attachments

• IMG_0001 5.JPG
    IMG_0001 5.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0001 4.jpg
    IMG_0001 4.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 44
Very few red pigments are UV-fast. Those that are that I’m aware of are usually modern. What you describe is very typical, especially with red.
-Steve

Had a similar discussion with an AT this week. How do you tell if a red band is Cherry Red or Red when you have dug it up.

Hey,
It is safe to assume that with time and exposure to light and/or acidic/caustic environments (e.g. peatbogs, pine forest soil etc.) paints will shift colour. Especially older ones. E.g. I have owned plenty German WW2 2cm AP tracer rounds, of which the red band indicating tracer-colour, had turned either white-ish / Orange or almost yellow. Most of these were found in boggy/aquatic environments.

Regards, Menno.

Last edited: