What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze ID

alpvogt

Ordnance approved
A friend got this strange fuze. The upper part looks like a German EHZ 17 but the lower part seems strange to me. Has anyone seen this fuze in this configuration before and is it at all real or some fake?

20180607_113628.jpg20180607_113616.jpg20180607_113635.jpg

Hello,

I know Austro Hungarian made a T&P fuze with two fuzes to extend range but no interest with percussion fuze, except if you want to use an EHZ17 with a 7.7cm instead of 10.5cm !! (different thread)
I think it could be trench art device.
Looks like an EHZ 17 ZL E GUSS (thread 57.5mm, for 10.5cm shells) put on the base of an EKZ 17 ZL E GUSS (thread 55mm for 7.7cm shells)

Regards

ehz17.jpgEKZ17 ZL E GEW.jpg

Last edited:
ZL E GUSS

Hello,

the letters are "Zi E. Guss". It means "Zink" and "Eisenguss" (today Gusseisen) and is describing the material Zinc + Cast Iron. The iron part was cast first and in a second step the zinc was casted around the iron part. There are no screws or threads which are connecting both parts.

The fuzes with this construction were introduced in the end of October 1917 because even Zinc started to become a rare material. This process was invented by the "Centralwerkstatt Dessau" a factory for gas lighting and heating equipment and was also officially released for other factories (AEG, R. Stock, ...).

Because @Alpvogt's fuze has no stamps I guess it was taken from production process. I also think it's trench art (may be unfinished).

Last edited: