What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors fuze No. 251 II maker

ozziammo

Hi All, a request for makers ID of Bofors fuze No.251 II being MC over V as per pic.
Thanks, regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 35404358_1676609945767622_2436299917820428288_n.jpg
    35404358_1676609945767622_2436299917820428288_n.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 80
Think it's a Mk III fuze. Ryan asked me also.
Now that I'm home I have checked and these are definitely Australian as I've got a couple. They are marked MC over V '43 and filled MS 4/43. They are fitted to GMH-W projectiles.
I wonder if MC Finsbury had a subcontractor in Victoria?

Howdy Darkman, yes same item from same person! He didn't supply a very good pic of the filling code, only this pic of the manufacturer stamp. I was wondering if MC made fuzes? Why do you think MC had a subcontractor in Vic? Thanks Mate, regards Ozzi.

Hi Ozzi, apparently this fuze hasn't been filled so it has no filler code.
MC Finsbury definitely made fuzes. I have documentation that specifies this and also refer to the attached drawing of the Finsbury site during WW2 that details buildings 25 and 26 - Fuse factories No. 1 & 2. I am wondering if MC/V was the standard marking for fuzes made at Finsbury (although I think I have, or have seen fuzes marked just MC), but adding a dash or line to a fuze code usually means a location. That's why I think it may have been a subcontractor and/or possibly in Victoria. Just another thought - did Victor Harbour have any WW2 munitions manufacturing during WW2?

Attachments

• MC Finsbury.jpg
    MC Finsbury.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 78
Is there any possibility that it's not MC/V but either MCD/V or MCI/V?

GMHW/S I have as Holdens Motor Body Builders, Wardville, Australia.

TimG

Hi Tim, it's definitely only MC over V only. GMH-W was General Motors Holden's, Woodville, South Australia (They started as Holden's Motor Body Builders). During the war GMH made 2 pdr AT guns, Bofors projectiles, C219 ammo boxes and I'm sure many other things.

I thought there was something about that GM.

I have some old manuscript notes that show two MC listings for Victoria - McD/V I think it's McDarwin (in Carlton?) or similar, there's no trace in my 1937 Cook's Directory. The other is McI/V, which I've identified as John McIlwraith and Co., who were a very large plumbing fittings company. A lot of British plumbing fitting companies turned their hand to fuze manufacture during the wars. It is more than possible that the listings I have are only partially correct - you've got GMH-W (more than likely stamped on a shell) I've got GMHW/S scribbled on a piece of paper.

TimG

The GMH Woodville plant also made 6pdr 7cwt guns as well as 20mm POLSTEN guns. I will find a pic showing what looks like 2pdr Vickers shell bodies being made at that plant.
I wonder where the production records & figures went for the MC plant?
Regards Ozzi.

I have never heard of Victor Harbour having a ammo manufacturing facility of any description, too small a place, more of a tourist destination by the sea.

Is there any possibility that it's not MC/V but either MCD/V or MCI/V?

TimG

Tim I looked closely at another fuze recently and it is MCI/V. Or more precisely McI/V (McIntosh, McIntyre?).

Do you know who this maker is?

Thanks, Graeme

Graeme,

Apologies, I missed that.

As stated above, I think it is John McIlwraith and Co., who were a very large plumbing fittings company.

TimG