What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French T&P 24/31 1915/16 and T&P 24/31 'A' 1918 thread difference

starshell

Premium Member
Hello all,

I have a couple of French 'beehive' fuzes, (both inert and FFE), one being a T&P 24/31 1915/1916 with 0-24 sec graduations, the other a 24/31 'A' (elongated) 1918 model, with 0-31 sec graduations, this model used for longer range 'streamlined' 75mm shells.

But the later 1918 fuze thread is coarser than the earlier model fuze.

Although this fuze was used on 75mm shells, I have tried it on my French 75's (shrap & HE), but the thread difference prevents it from screwing home in both.
Am I right in thinking the late war streamlined 75's had a coarser fuze socket thread?
(I don't have a streamlined 75mm model to check...)
Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
Maybe your fuze is damaged as these fuzes shoud have same thread (thread 24mm/base fuze 31mm)
(Be careful, common shrapnel, except later, used 22mm/31mm fuzes without adapter (same external shape as T&P 24-31))
Regards

Many thanks Minenaz16,
I'll re check but I'm sure the threads are different. If so, I'll post a couple of pics showing each fuze.
Thanks again!

IMG_1996.jpgIMG_1997.jpg
Hi minenaz16,
As mentioned, pics of the 2 fuzes. As you can see, the difference in threads is noticeable, the thread on the right being finer and fitting a 75mm shrap just fine.
(It may be I've identified these wrongly).
I was hoping the fuze on the left would fit a 75mm, but not so because of the thread.
Am I missing something?....
Thanks in advance.

as MINENAZ16 wrote, left 24-31 mm fuze (M23,5x2 thread) and on the right side a 22-31 (M22x1,5 thread) fuze for shrapnel shells. The right fuze never had a gaine but it's still missing it's bottom end.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on thread size Alpini, appreciated.
So, at the expense of making myself look a fool, what shell would the fuze (24-31) on the left in images be fitted to? A search online suggests its use on a 'French 75mm' shell. Having tried it on a HE shell, it fits perfectly. Is that my answer?
Having little knowledge on French ordnance, I'd always assumed the 75's had the same fuze socket thread regardless of type (chemical, Shrap, HE) so finding this differing thread threw me.
I have a strong feeling I've overlooked something here, so please excuse my ignorance.
Many thanks!

if we reverse the question: On which shells the 22-31 fits? I would say 65 and 75 mm shrapnel shells (I may get corrected). And the 24-31 fuzes: on most of the french HE shells.

Thanks Alpini, thats kind of the conclusion I was reaching. It makes sense.
Thanks for your help. Something else I've learned....
Cheers!