What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AZ23 Fuze

Millsman

Premium Member
I bought this from a friend who bought about 200 lb of fuzes from a French farmer on the Somme. I'd not seen one before on the Somme.

SSCN8535.JPGSSCN8534.JPG

It has AZ23 on the side but my reference book does not cover this one.

Is it a Minerwerfer fuze or an Anti Tank fuze.

Any info appreciated (not my subject) - thanks

John

I had 2 different AZ 23 in brass. once with 0.15 and 0.25 sec delay. Are normal impact fuze. Manufacturer = Rheinmetall.AZ 23 Messing 0,15 .jpgAZ - 23 Messing 0,25.jpg

You may have not seen it there because it's a 2nd WW fuze. So it may be one 2nd WW fuze under 10000 1st WW fuzes :)

It's the most common german artillery percussion fuze used in 2nd WW. They are used from 75mm until very heavy artillery shells. The first of them were made from brass, later ones from aluminium ending with a bakelite/steel combination when the war was over (same game as in the 1st WW).

You may have not seen it there because it's a 2nd WW fuze. So it may be one 2nd WW fuze under 10000 1st WW fuzes :)

It's the most common german artillery percussion fuze used in 2nd WW. They are used from 75mm until very heavy artillery shells. The first of them were made from brass, later ones from aluminium ending with a bakelite/steel combination when the war was over (same game as in the 1st WW).

Many thanks for the reply. My reference book is only up to 1918. Unusual for it to be found on the Somme battlefield. This must have been made early in the war.

John

On the Somme was also fought in the 2nd WW. You will find mixed ordnance everywhere.

Yes I know but I can assure you finding WW2 debris on the WW1 battlefields is quite rare. The best piece I have heard of is a complete PIAT found in a ditch near Albert.

Yes it is Rh S N.

How do the letters translate to dates? Is RH the maker as in post #2?

John

Rheinische Metallwarenfabrik in the town Sömmerda, short Rheinmetall Sömmerda (Rh.S.)
A - 1925
Z - 1926
M - 1927
T - 1928
R - 1929
B - 1930
E - 1931
O - 1932
N - 1933
K - 1934
G - 1935
S - 1936 (only P 08 made by Krieghoff)

Bob

AZ 23 Fuze Setter Key

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct thread to add this - so appolodies if not.

Here are my two new additions to my collection.

33633405rv.jpg

33633408xg.jpg

33633409oe.jpg

Nothing Special I know - but nice to have.

I'm now after the AZ 23 and Zt. Z. S/30 spanner.

So if you have a spare one at a non-inflated price then please let me know.
Can be in any condition!

Kind regards,

Pete.

33633429ts.jpg