Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

French chemical igniter 1880

Hallo,
    attached is a photo of a chemical igniter, which I found in the 1880 edition of the french "Manuel De PFr.chemical Igniter 1882.jpgyrotechnie". It works with Sulphuric Acid and Potassium Chlorate, but I do not understand its exact function. For the time, 1880 , it looks rather modern. I can not speak french. Can somebody please explain.
    Regards,
    Bellifortis.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    If you can send me a picture of the complete page I can translate for you. Functionning is simple.

Thanks
    Hi,

Rough translation :
    Chemical primers usually used are made from a mixture of potassium chlorate and a combustible component on which falls a drop of concentated sulfuric acid, contained in a scealed glass tube, surrounded by the detonating composition. The tube is broken by the impact and initiates the explosion. That kind of primers were used on torpedoes, like Jacobi torpedoes used by the Russians in 1874 in the Baltic sea. They were also tried in France. They are currently in service in the UK.

S.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sgdbdr For This Useful Post:

Bellifortis (19th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thank you guys for your answers. But, what I don't understand is : Is this supposed to function as a direct-action mine fuse or as a delay igniter ? If the central, vertical tube contains the liquid acid, what is the function of the thin stick in the middle ? Meanwhile I had a look in "Sleeman's" book and found a similar igniter there. Sleeman calls it "Abel's mechanical Primer".
    Bellifortis.
    Last edited by Bellifortis; 20th June 2018 at 12:52 AM.