What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm drill rd

Canuck

Good day I picked up a 57 mms drill round today the driving band is intact and the case is steel on the bottom of the shell it has inert stamped plus VALC 18 -86 on the projectile it has 57 G M1& 6 PR 7 CWT DRILL CARTRIDGE 42-23141 85 I would like to know how this should be painted was it blue? Right now it' all painted black I am also wondering what colour the shell casing should be thank
in advance

Attachments

• 20180619_174659.jpg
    20180619_174659.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 95
The case looks like the brown lacquer coated type steel case. The projectile should be black with white lettering. You never see these drill rounds with a blue body. These are WWII era for the AT Gun.

I just saw your the post. It took some time to drag it out and post pics. I have two, one in the fibre container , both white ink lettered the same. Both steel cases, one very dark brown laquered and this one in the tube looks like brass, but is much lighter brown in color, also laquered steel.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
More, I got to looking. The driving band is stamped as the container is marked, but also the projectile body, unusual. It reads " 57MM, M70, AK, 4-42, 24-23, 141-3." One of my favorite pieces due to the markings and tube.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
Had to wait 'til the temp got down below 100F to go out in the shed. Dug up a trio of 57mm rounds. The M22 came in a paired crate. Couldn't help myself. Had to bust open the lead/wire sealed crate and one of the tubes. Luckily, no water damage on the internals. The crate is a bit weathered. Anyway, here is what I've got.
shell 57mm 1.jpg shell 57mm 2.jpg shell 57mm 3.jpg shell 57mm 4.jpg shell 57mm 7.jpg shell 57mm 12.jpg shell 57mm 9.jpg

The M22 is a tracerless M70 projectile from all appearances. A clear lacquered steel case. No head stamp, inked or impressed. A nice side marking on the case.
Original colors are as pictured and noted by previous commenters.

***** Hopefully this post will remove the "YELLOW BANNER OF SHAME" *****
Hey! I've been busy! Growing and harvesting tomatoes:

tomato 3.jpg

Last edited: