What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aussie gunshows

kiwieod

im thinking of visiting an Australian gunshow,can any of the ozzies recommend a show to go to
amount of tables?items for sale etc?

I went to a great gunshow in Melbourne, about 1983, that was in a building with 2 levels of show tables. I would sure like to go back in time to revisit it. Since then I've gotten VERY deep into cartridge collecting, and I recall a lonely guy sitting in the corner with 2 tables full of collectible ammo.
Oh well.

Gunshows in Victoria are now padded out with other collectables rather than all firearms and ammunition. We have at least 7 shows each year plus 2 military auctions to visit. I assure you all that we still have our firearms as long as you have the licence to shoot or collect them. Usually only about 160 to 200 tables and the quality of items seems to have fallen off in recent years. I still visit them all in the hope of a new fuze or cartridge and feel that any show is worth supporting.We will all suffer if shows are cancelled or banned in the future. Any show is a good day out. Keep collecting while you can. Ron.

I thought they took all your guns down under?

You can own guns no problems, but it's heavily regulated and licenced. You have to demonstrate a reason to own/use (there are collector categories) and it's extremely difficult to get a licence category for automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Licences are subject to police checks etc. They also have to be stored in gun safes with the ammunition stored separately. You also cannot obtain a gun immediately - a permit to acquire must be submitted and it takes weeks before you can pick it up. Sales and transfers must be done through a registered gun dealer. You can also own old obsolete calibre longarms or antique weapons without a licence. I have an 1873 .577/.450 Martini-Henry Mk II rifle with no licence.

thanks,i would visit my sister in Sydney at the same time but will travel to any show.i also like fleamarkets,swapmeets if there are good ones in the same area
I collect mines,boobytraps,bomb disposal/EOD items,dynamite,blasting boxes etc

Sydney: The Penrith Gun Show is held every quarter - next one is in mid-August:

http://www.penrithgunshow.com.au/

It's about 1 hr drive west of Sydney on the way to the Blue Mountains - expressway most of the way from the Airport.

I would suggest the Victorian ones would be better

And don't fly in/out of Aus through Sydney, the airport is staffed by ,very special people...

I would suggest the Victorian ones would be better

I agree Drew. Ordnance licensing laws are considerably more stringent in NSW than in some other states, consequently there's not as much ordnance at these shows. In Victoria you are permitted to own inert ordnance (including grenades, mines etc) completely unrestricted without any licence, hence our shows have more of this stuff. I believe Queensland is the same.

im not to concerned about buying any ordnance as it will be almost impossible to send it anyway.its just nice to see some different stuff instead of the same old crap here year after year