What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 152mm combustible case

Here are some photo of my 152mm round with part of the case it's missing the base.Harry

Attachments

• 152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 1.JPG
    152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 23
  • 152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 2.JPG
    152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 2.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 3.JPG
    152mm Sheridan Case Stencil 3.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 152mm Sheridan.JPG
    152mm Sheridan.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 47
Here is the canister with the nylon case. On a personal note, I will never again make anything with nylon. It produces lethal strands of very strong nylon string while being machined which constantly try to lasso all about and pull it into the spinning chuck - extremely dangerous stuff.

Attachments

• US 152 Canister Round.jpg
    US 152 Canister Round.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 46
Excellent Looking result! That being said, I agree completely with the tribulations of turning nylon. I HATE it for just that reason.
-Steve

I have added top and bottom pictures of the canister.

Attachments

• 152mm US Canister Top.jpg
    152mm US Canister Top.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 152mm US Canister Bottom.jpg
    152mm US Canister Bottom.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 21
Hello,
sorry to hijack this thread, but think its a variant also.
Searched for the MBT 70 maingun and could'nt find much details. Guess these are from that program. Any more infos are very welcome.
20201206_141828.jpg20201206_141856.jpg

I have the sub-projectile dart to the, 152 APFSDS, MT-LB. Super cool seeing the entire round. Thanks!

Jason

That almost looks more like the proof round - simply pointed.

Not a good picture, but the best that I have at work. You can see the similarity.

DSC_8656.jpg

Jason, do you have any documents on that one? What was it's purpose? It seems too short to be stable in flight. And is the proof round directly related to it? It seems too close in design - and too far from the other 152s - to be a coincidence.

Only that it had a sticker on it with a hand written, "152mm XM-578," on it.

The part that I found so interesting is the fins are welded on with a precision, puddle weld bead. Of all of my inert APFSDS specimens, I have never seen that. While very well done, seems a bit crude for aerodynamics and balance issues? I just figured since it was an experimental design, that this may have been a more efficient way to test various design configurations and the maybe the final design had molded fin assemblies. Also, the dart itself has a lot of similarities to a, US, 105mm, M735 APFSDS projectile. I need to caliper them both.

Jason

These are photos from a post I made way back when I acquired this projectile http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...PFSDS-T-Sub-Projectile?highlight=152mm+apfsds

578.jpg579.jpg20201209_101726.jpg152mmAPDSTSheridanTank_zps5879589b.jpgIMG_9598.jpgIMG_9600.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the diagrams I posted above, maybe I have the, XM-579, not the, XM-578 as the fin assembly looks correct?

Jason

This was just posted on a, Face Book, Ordnance Group. I can't tell if it is a combustible case or metal, but maybe of interest?

Jason

IMG_9054.jpg

The combustible case isn’t that color. The chipping at the rim and the aluminum colored paint suggest a home-build.