What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 1 Grenade - Original or fake?

Hi All,

New member, second post - and my first (of likely many...) question(s).

Is this No. 1 real or fake? I have only been provided with a couple of photo's, so I will apologize in advance for the lack of specific information. With your feedback, I was hoping to be able to formulate some questions for the seller.

No 1 2.jpgNo 1.jpg

A number of things come to mind, such as the pristine condition of the streamers, as well as the lack of any handling damage over the past 100 odd years.

Are there any specific areas that one would want to scrutinize to determine if this is original?

Many thanks for your input! Cheers.

The white paint indicates it was an instructional grenade. Looks like the streamers have been replaced but it otherwise looks good. Might also have a newer handle.

looks basically good to me . It's a MkIII . Most of those were made by by Western Electric Ltd & the top of the handle beneath the streamers will be stamped No1 MkIII W.E. Ltd , usually very faintly . It's unlikely to have a broad arrow as these were usually only found on the Mk1 & some MkII's