What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the stenciling original factory or repaint

millector

Recently acquired this 1943 dated 75mm,M48.Opinions vary from original factory making to badly done repaint.Wondering what other collectors think?

Attachments

• DSCF2277.jpg
    DSCF2277.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 116
It is definitely an original.....back in the 1980's there were loads of them, all looking exactly like this one that came out of the factory at St Mary's in NSW. I personally had about 6 of them and they were all as sloppy as this. Obviously for the 75mm Howitzer, not the Sherman. Nice one.

British markings are very sloppy just like this on 2" mortar round and shrapnel mines.

I guess the main thing is whether or not they can be read. Had any ammo with that low quality of markings come through an ammo process building when I was running it, they would have been the subject of a fault report. If you can't identify the Lot and there is subsequently an accident in use, how do you know which ammo to ban without banning all?

What i've heard from servicemen who had the onerous task of repaints, they got bored and often did fairly sloppy jobs of the repaint,while still complying with the marking requirements.Apart from stencils, a lot of coloured lines etc, were done by hand so turned out a bit wavy.