What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Naval Gas Mine.

Sprockets

Years ago, on a visit to the much missed Ordnance Collection at Christinia, Denmark, I was shown a large glass sphere, like an enlarged fishing float, which I was told was a British WW1 Gas mine, found in the Baltic. I was not sure if this was correct, but recently I came across a history of the US development of WW1 Naval Munitions, which mentioned an expert in Naval Gas Warfare had been seconded by the Admiralty! Short of overwhelming a rowing boat, I fail to see how a large enough concentration could be achieved. Perhaps the mine was filled with a liquid, which could evaporate over a large area of the sea? Anyone else know something about this subject?

Nothing I've ever heard of, I'd have serious doubts.

doesn't seem practical.First, much of the gas could be absorbed by the water. Two, there usually is wind movement over the sea. Three, ships move and can leave the area. Four, ships are zipped up pretty tight, and gas would not easily penetrate. Five, the most persistent gas would float on the surface and be easily left behind. Sounds like non scientific fiction.