What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No 74 Sticky Bomb Grenades

ron3350

This subject has been posted before by roller63 on 20-6-08.http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8789-Drill-Sticky-Bomb-No-74-mk2?highlight=drill+grenade

I have obtained the Bakelite version plus a solid wood Drill or Throwing Practice grenade so wish to show my photos with the measurements that were asked about but not answered in the previous post. I now need the metal casing to go with this display.

The Drill with metal ring weighs 860 grams. 110mm ring. 91mm wood. 230mm (9") long. Handle is 27mm and 42mm ring.
The solid wood version weighs 590 grams. 102mm wide. 230mm long. Handle is 27mm and 46mm ring. Both are hardwood.

Is this the Mk 1 & 2 versions or is the wood one unit made for practice and not official issue ?

I have 2 variations of the glass bodies. One is unmarked and the other is embossed No74 1 1942. Usually covered in the sticky stuff and unseen.

gshSsDbmSIag63FG2MHcrw_thumb_2b6.jpgw1XjMu6LQiqh4xKAvn1J0w_thumb_2b7.jpgu2jz1AexQnGFFJf+Fi2tPQ_thumb_2b8.jpg

Thanks for that useful post.

There is another post on this forum titled "Drill Sticky Bomb No 74 Mk2" with photos that looks very similar to your wood only bomb, except that it has the metal ring as well. The grenade is marked in a similar way to your MkI. The design at the base of the ball differs slightly, but both mimic the shape of the MkII.

From images I've seen, the ball isn't a sphere but taller than wider. It maybe that is is a sphere with the centre flattened for the metal ring to fit snugly. Need to measure a real one in several ways to find out for sure.

So your all wood version is a MkII, but not sure if official or not.

The instructions for the MkI mention the practice grenades issued in boxes of 25, measuring 17x15x21". It specifies that these are weighted wood. I don't have access to a set of instructions for the MkII to see if a similar note about the MkI.

I did read that other post. This is why I included the weights and dimensions of my items. I cannot see any nail or screw holes in the wood drill but the sides do look flattened and maybe had a steel band at some time? Thanks for the comments.

AI0P9FyBRe6TRsgGnjfaBw_thumb_4dc.jpgmJUCLJreSyOS9D87HZh2qw_thumb_4dd.jpgs9efMKfdTIKoT++i0S3Xgg_thumb_4de.jpgBiPut5QdTsmG5iAHTKM6Sw_thumb_4df.jpgA new No74 Grenade in the case. Sticky coating has hardened. No red band on case so never filled?
You can see the pointed rubber fingers to protect the grenade from the case.

4bW0ykkWTuiCqcgvicSAPQ_thumb_4e1.jpg3zxBl5vYSSyHiA5clKxMpg_thumb_4e2.jpg17uZuZAaSd6mZOY24lfbdA_thumb_4e3.jpgI had a request for dimensions of the retaining clip on the No74 grenade shown. Here is 3 views. Wire is 2mm thick.

I am informed that my all wooden Drill round is not a Mk2 but a reproduction space filler made by a BOCN member to show the generic shape c.2007 in an EOC team collection that had no stickys in their collection. Sorry but not an original. Came to Australia and I got it. Cheers. Ron.

Very nice, congratulations! Not an easy item to find with the clam-shell, but with the glue still on it too, just amazing!

I hope you fellow collectors realise how much my bank account suffered just to show you these photographs.I think it was worth it. Cheers. Ron.

Worth every penny I am sure. :tinysmile_shy_t:

I hope to get the same opportunity to have my bank account suffer for one of these someday.

Hello Gentlemen, Can anyone tell me what I might expect to pay for a complete example of the No.74 with it's clam shell? Also, what would the value be for one WITHOUT the clam shell, but WITH the glue covered "sock" still on it?

Thanks

John

Hello John,

As many have pointed out on this forum, price is a wildly variable thing. These can usually be shipped safely (disassembled) as they do not have an Xray profile which would alarm anyone. The steel clam shell is VERY hard to come by as is the Mark II with the Bakelite body. Mark I's with no sock or glue covering seem to be the most "common" and do display well. As for price in the US, it is SO HARD to say. All 3 of mine were received from abroad from sellers willing to ship it here.
I would venture a guess that a nice, complete Mark I with clam shell, glue covered sock, spoon and original pin tag would easily bring $1,000.00 or more at a major show in the US. This is because it is REALLY hard to come by in complete and original condition AND there is no shipping involved. Just pay and walk away.
A nice Mark I with complete fuze and original glass possibly around $300.00 - $450.00. Add sock and glue - $500.00 - $550.00. Mark II bakelite no sock no shell $700.00 - $800.00.

Please understand that these are rough guesses and if 2 people are willing to battle it out on an auction site for a piece of inert ordnance "unobtanium" things can get crazy. If you do find a nice one for sale, it is usually best to move forward, as it may be ages, if ever you find another one. I have over paid considerably a few times, but many items I bough have never surfaced again, making me feel much better about pouncing when I had the chance.

I have become accustomed to living indoors, so that is a bit more important than a fantastic inert ordnance piece.

Pictured below are my 3, center back. The one with the "sock" is a reproduction globe (probably a boiling flask) but original fuze. It was cheap and displays well. The others are a Mark I and Mark II, Both in very complete condition. I still don't have a clam shell yet......

Best of luck!!!!! Pat
100_7538.jpg

Thanks Pat, I really appreciate the information. Hopefully I have the opportunity to buy a complete example someday in the future, and now, thanks to you and another member who PM'd me, I will at least know what to expect to pay or bid. Congratulations on your three nice examples. The Mk II is another one I need to add someday too.

Last edited:
I would expect US$1525 for a complete No74 and roughly agree with Wichitaslumlord on prices, but dearer in Australia. Good luck finding an example. Ron.

Thanks Ron. I have never seen a complete example for sale, but hopefully in the future I will. :tinysmile_twink_t:

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the links. Hopefully someone is able to take advantage of those. I do already have an example of the "naked" glass version, and one with the glue covered sock, I just need a complete one and the Mk II bakelite version to round out the set.

The "prototype" version is very interesting, but a bit too exotic for my taste without any definitive evidence of it's purpose.

I sold a complete & mint one on eBay [lucky to get away with it] for over £2000 last August .

I sold a complete & mint one on eBay [lucky to get away with it] for over £2000 last August .

You were indeed lucky Mike. I’ve had two three day bans this year for listing a used/inert/empty plastic baton round.
Also had a purchase cancelled by eBay and refunded through Paypal because I purchased a used/empty/inert rubber bullet from the USA and the seller tried sending it through the eBay Global Shipping Programme. It got as far as Pitney-Bowes in Kentucky and the transaction was then cancelled.

Wow, I wish I had seen that. Although, in reality, I would not have known then to bid that high. Now I know, and will be ready for the next one. :tinysmile_grin_t:

You were indeed lucky Mike. I’ve had two three day bans this year for listing a used/inert/empty plastic baton round.
Also had a purchase cancelled by eBay and refunded through Paypal because I purchased a used/empty/inert rubber bullet from the USA and the seller tried sending it through the eBay Global Shipping Programme. It got as far as Pitney-Bowes in Kentucky and the transaction was then cancelled.

I hate Ebay, but my collection would be a lot smaller without it. I wish more sellers would use websites like BOCN and WAF to sell their items directly before going to Ebay.