Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

British Electro-Pneumatic Anti-Tank Mine

Hi,
    in a german WW2 document I found the description of an "Electro-Pneumatic AT-Mine". Never before have I seen anything like this in british documents. The pneumatic tube, it said, was 1,4m long. Does anybody know more ?Electro-pneumatic AT-Mine.jpg
    regards,
    Bellifortis.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellifortis For This Useful Post:

Ivashkin (2nd July 2018)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellifortis View Post
    Hi,
    in a german WW2 document I found the description of an "Electro-Pneumatic AT-Mine". Never before have I seen anything like this in british documents. The pneumatic tube, it said, was 1,4m long. Does anybody know more ?Electro-pneumatic AT-Mine.jpg
    regards,
    Bellifortis.

Very interesting! Can You tell name of the book where this picture?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Bellifortis,

Is it possible that it is a corrupted/misunderstood description of Switch, No. 11, Contact Strip? http://www.lexpev.nl/fuzesandigniter...tactstrip.html

also - http://tgrm.foxed.ca/boobytraps/Brit...Britishbt.html

TimG
    Last edited by TimG; 2nd July 2018 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    @Ivashkin,
    the manual is named : "Merkblatt 45/21 ueber englische Spreng-und Zuend-mittel, Minen und Zuender" dated 1.Aug.1942 . This is in the "Merkblatt" series, the one about russian material is more common.
    @TimG,
    I also thought about this. But, because it says especially "pneumatic tube" and "pneumatic feeler" in the mine. The front-covering length of the "feeler-T" is 2,75m long. That also makes me think that it is a different system. The other one is just a length of tubing with the electrical contacts, spaced apart, inside. But, as I mentioned before, I have never before heard anything about a system like this. Tim, I'm 95% shure, that you can find this handbook in the Archive. Just search for the above exact title. Oh, you also can find it online at www.michaelhiske.de under 1.: Heer 2.: Merkblaetter 3.:Merkbl.45/21 This site is incredible. Enjoy.
    regards
    Bellifortis.

Ordnance Approved/Premium
    Thanks
    Years ago in the US at petrol stations (when we had full service, excluding Oregon and New Jersey) there would be a pneumatic tube that you drove over ringing a bell and letting the station attendant know that you needed fuel. Now they use a similar pneumatic line across roads to count vehicle usage. Could this mine actuator be a similar system? Cheers, Bruce.
    ALL ORDNANCE SHOWN BY ME HAS BEEN INERTED AND HAS NO LIVE FILLERS.