Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    I went round RNPF Caerwent in 1956 and I take your point that it would not have been filled there. More likely RNAD Ernesettle or some other RNAD. There were more of them about in those days.
    There is an element of RNAD rework rather than ROF about the clearing charge, as though it was for getting a stuck fast shell out of a gun rather than de-coppering. Perhaps it was produced by a TIALD.
    The primer in his cartridge is a No 12 Mk N7 but it is a much later date.

Thanks
    Ignore the primer in the RLB case. I remember 5 years ago I cleaned the threads using this primer and it was not original to this case. Sorry.
    To AE501 I cannot accept the MD as Manchester Die Castings . MD Bofors (and 20mm OeZ) were made by Derwent Park Ammunition Factory,Glenorchy,Hobart,Tasmania. Bofors in 1943 and 1944. Oerlikon in 1943-45. All these cases were sent to mainland Australia for loading. Derwent made 690,813 40mm cases and the works were closed in March 1945 owing to a surplus of these particular munitions. Both calibres with MD headstamps are relatively unknown so I can see why you would think it was a British case. Why would there be two factories using the same MD marking?
    MD also made 2" Mortar bodies and tail fins. The RLB case has an extra line of print not shown. It is ALN-001.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

AE501 (2nd July 2018)

Thanks
    I was a bit hasty with the same factory code statement. Of course two different companies can use the same code. eg. MF and MG can be Australian of French or Brazil. The fact that MD Bofors cases are found in Australia (and Tasmania) points to Australian surplus and reuse as a clearing blank in my opinion. The facts on MD production came from an ACCA article in Journal 98 of 2004 by J.Green, Tasmania. Same MD letters with a slight cant (not straight) and an asterisk under it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

AE501 (2nd July 2018)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    You obviously know a lot more about those Australian factories than I know about Manchester Die Castings.
    To put some more perspective on the de-coppering Clearing cartridges.
    All the tank and anti tank guns from 2 Pr (except Mk 10B for Littlejohn due to the absence of copper) to 120mm APDS for Chieftain and probably beyond, had a Clearing cartridge as well as a Blank. The amount of propellant in Clearing and Blank cartridges is very similar, but may be a different type, but Clearing cartridges have twice as much lead/tin foil as the normal cartridge. 40mm by virtue of having to defy gravity and reach the highest possible ceiling also had the same and because it had a high rate of automatic fire, with high barrel temperatures, severe coppering was found. This is why 40mm was the most prevalent Clearing cartridge.
    A shell stuck in the bore of a gun is a very rare event and you would have to remove it under local arrangements by either mechanical means or if the gun was urgently required, by explosive means. In the latter case it would be a good idea to find a few Blanks and add Clearing to the description so that they did not get shot off and you would have something to help to get a shell out, by removing some of the propellant relative to how far up the bore it was.
    Out of interest, the 2 Pr Clearing cartridge used a shortened standard cartridge case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12