What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No36 Striker without vent slot

Infanteer

Can anyone tell me why this No.36 striker is lacking the vent slot? My understanding is that the vent slot was adopted early in the First World War with the No.5. Any ideas?

IMG_3651.jpgIMG_3650.jpg

Last edited:
The slot was first invented in 1915 to try to overcome the problem of fuzes fastburning through by increasing ventilation. Some people say they were to be a part of the No 5 Mk II specification, but in 1916 there were still large stocks of the original strikers and although they started to appear in mid 1916 they did not become universal in the No 23 Mk I or Mk II until 1918.

I would say that for 1916 and 1917 the slotted striker made up about 10% of strikers, increasing to about 30% by the end of 1917. This is purely based upon what I have seen recovered from the Somme and Arras battlefields. Snufkin may have some actual numbers.

I've never seen a 23 Mk III or No 36 striker without a slot. So I would say your one may be a reject or more likely one taken off the production line before it was finished.

John