What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Tourist Trys to Take Artillery Shell on Plane in Austria

crazy, everyone knows carry on luggage is only up to 57mm!

rofl :)
Shure, exept for handgrenades there's a restriction up to 5 kg in handluggage ;)

But seriuos now:
By the looks i'd say she tried to get a dud 7,5cm SprGr.34 for the Kwk/Pak 40 aboard the plane. Not a really good idea!

Last edited:
About 15 years ago, when I was on holiday with my wife in Malta, we visited Fort Rinella (1000 ton gun) where I bought a small, hollow porcellan replica of the shell with a slit, that could be used as a money saving box. Because the hollow porcellan body was fragile, I rolled it up in a towel and put it in my hand luggage. When my bag went through x-ray at the airport, suddenly everything went quiet. The shape of the object was enough to get everybody highly upset. Not even the colour (density) of the object on the screen, made them think. When the inspecting officer held up the object, with the golden inscription on it, you could see the mental release in the faces of the personnel around.
Bellifortis.

I'm no defence lawyer, but if the police said this

"Despite the potentially hazardous situation, police told the outlet passengers were never in any danger. "

why did they prosecute?
"fined nearly $5,000 and reported to prosecutors for negligent endangerment"

and apparently she declared it,so wasn't trying to smuggle it on the flight?