What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Characteristics of firing a PIAT

BMG50

Premium Member
I have come across a training area that once fired the practice PIAT rounds the lump of steel with a flat head. I am trying to find the firing point where the troops in the area fired from. I have found fired PIAT cartridges the top and bottom which gives me a clue to the arrox area of the firing point but would like to know what bits flew here and there. I know that the PIAT cartridge flew out the back of the projectile on a practice shot and the HE version cartridge deformed into a disfigured ring that few out of the HE round when it hit the target Need to know if these spent cartridges or remains of them flew over the heads of the firer or landed in front and how far back and forward they landed. Not sure if firing the PIAT was dangerous to the user from this debris flying back bearing in mind that the normal practice training range was about 100 yard. Any one fired a PIAT or have an account of what flies this way and that. I will post some picture of the PIAT rings i found at a different location.

Cant tell you much other than a ring and a cartridge ended up coming off of the piat trainer and was at the front of the launcher usually. Also there were cases of the firer being hit with the tail section of the he round. You can find accident records. That is why the manual mentions a safety distance around the firer when practicing with them.