What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interwar years British artillery shell no80 fuze conversion

Wgreen

Hi thought I would post some pics and information that I have learnt from researching and stripping these unusual fuzes ,the first example when I received it was screwed onto a 4.7" artillery shell which I posted in a earlier thread the great knowledgeable people on bocn helped point me in the right direction telling me that they were used on interwar years aircraft bombs
The R.L pattern number on this fuze is 29119 which I believe dates it to late 1919 even into the 1920 s and is a conversion of a no 80 artillery shell fuze as used on the 18 lb there are no mk details on the fuze just a few numbers in small stamps which I believe are inspectors stamps ,when I got the fuze it had no vanes on the top but after studying it I could see a key way on the top to hold the vanes on with solder ,so made some not sure if there perfect but they look about right
The function of this fuze seems very simple it would appear on dropping from the aircraft the vanes screwed in allowing the heavy detonater to strike the cap at the very bottom of the fuze not using the time function of the fuze at all
I believe these fuzes were used with smoke or possibly flare bombs where a small charge of black powder would sit under the fuze and burst the thin casing of the bomb or push out flares
Finding anything for certain about these fuzes has been quite hard very little documentation seems available but I did find a reference in the r.a.f historical society journal which states that in the early 30s Britain's bombs were tested and it was found that most were unacceptable some blame being but down to the fuzes which were converted from artillery shells
I also met the original owner again who told me it came with an adapter which I now have and of another very similar fuze which I will post in this thread as well
3c43d9e08471e69f50ffaa735723b150.jpg
c658a5226050bc4728026f19f3bd173f.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

This is the second fuze from this conversion of no80 artillery fuzes to airdropped bomb fuzes this example is made from a no80 mkxi and has a R.L pattern number of 29541 and is very different to the first in its function this one seems to be activated by pulling on the loop at the end and releasing it which action strikes the cap contained within the nose section starting the timer train of powder the bottom section of the fuze has been blocked with wood so the flash from the cap can only go to the time section
This example still has the adapter and the top to the bomb which it went to attached it is damaged but is made of copper coated tin with solder over it and looks to of had a very thin steel/ tin sheet casing
If anyone has pics or drawings of interwar or even ww1 smoke ,flare or any other possible bombs which these could have been used it would be interesting to see them thanks
6c7e7f6563be1369ffd1359e2c8f3cc4.jpg
4926ece59fa7e007410cacb96acd65e6.jpg
821782e5d3e9389a770ba2ce6232ac5a.jpg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk