What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 Flare or Message Projectiles.

ron3350

I just got these two German projectiles for a WW1 Spigot Mortar of some sort. Which weapon fired these? Granatenwerfer 16?
I have seen the photo of the short version but can find no reference to the long one. Are they Flares or Message projectiles?

Short version is 288mm long. 45mm Head. 30/28mm Stem. The cap is a push-on type.
Looks like a shotshell base 135mm up the base.There is a steel section inside the top with 2 key holes and a centre powder igniter?

Long version is 390mm Long. 30mm Body. 30/28mm Stem. The cap has 2 bayonet type slots to secure it.
There is a stem or igniter 165mm up the base. A steel section 190mm from the top with 2 key holes and a centre stem igniter?

All comments are welcome. I need the correct ID for the projectiles and the firing weapon. Thanks. Ron.

p3TGVAl7TYiBZTwZCx6KWA_thumb_2f4.jpgApmJMMirSRKu9JA6AV%67g_thumb_2f6.jpgstu3t4g5QZ+g8utG3HApyA_thumb_2f7.jpg

They appear to be the Message and Signal Rockets for the spigot launcher, as described in the attached (SS 569).

Tom.

Attachments

• Signal + Message.jpg
    Signal + Message.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 93
That is correct, if you have ever had one of these launchers you will find that the
fins on the HE Grenatenwerfer projectiles will not fit into the protective
cup flash guard. They are too heavy and this device can not handle them.
Conversely you could fire any of the signal projectiles from a Grenatenwerfer.

Old thread I know, but habe to say that the photos are amazing. Thank you! The signalwerfer is quite rare, even on WW1 fotos and to see the flares for it is very amazing.