What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the F is this.

Could that be that it's not a bomb at all? Is it maybe a mixed load container? see pictures!

Attachments

• Mischlastbehälter.....jpg
    Mischlastbehälter.....jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Mischlastbehälter......jpg
    Mischlastbehälter......jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
I wonder it doesnt say brandbomb so im just guessing that Nitrolit, the explosive used during this time, was a fuel like substance.

It's quite possible that it is a Nitrolit loaded bomb - the question remains which bomb.
However the legend of the bomb in the Nowegian museum mention a central firing pipe tube that is consistent with a fire bomb
Fusse - the Michlastbehalter 250 was definitively different and it was only an external envelope into which one could put various stuff, including small cylinders containing liquids - but it was impossible to fill it directly. And the tail unit was completely different.
HvAfuTZ.jpg IMG_9927.jpg DNoNcV5.jpg container250.jpg AB.jpg

The Swedish Flyvapnet used already in 1942 a drop container but it was rather different:
F6 i Karlsborg. Behållare matbomber med fallskärm och upphängningsanordningar. Fälldes i mar.jpg F6 Karlsborg 1942. Behållare med fallskärm för proviantfällning över insnöade gårdar i Sk.jpg KBGF.064307.jpg 0231uyUgdhCe.jpg
Blockhaj, would you have a drawing and dimensions of this container?

Last edited:
It's quite possible that it is a Nitrolit loaded bomb - the question remains which bomb.
However the legend of the bomb in the Nowegian museum mention a central firing pipe tube that is consistent with a fire bomb
Fusse - the Michlastbehalter 250 was definitively different and it was only an external envelope into which one could put various stuff, including small cylinders containing liquids - but it was impossible to fill it directly. And the tail unit was completely different.
View attachment 144572 View attachment 144573 View attachment 144574 View attachment 144575 View attachment 144576

The Swedish Flyvapnet used already in 1942 a drop container but it was rather different:
View attachment 144577 View attachment 144578 View attachment 144579 View attachment 144581
Blockhaj, would you have a drawing and dimensions of this container?
Nop i dont have any dimensiosn of it. Although its possible its in the archive. I can go look for it some time.

Ok so after actually thinking rationally its possible again that the bomb is not a 250 kg minbomb. This is due to it having a spetsrör "nose fuze" which was only adopted on the m/50 series of bombs. So unless this is a 250 kg minbomb m/50 then this is in fact a previously unknown 500 kg bomb. The m/50 series of bombs were mostly used on the A 21A and A 32A planes. I need to check what carriages they used for bombs.

There was in fact a Spetsror M42 so it may be this one?
Spetsror M42
Spetsrör m 42, avsett för detonator m 42. 022wYzp6FuZ3.jpg
The earlier spetsror had the characteristic look of the Bofors fuses.
Spetsor M32-39
Spetstidanslagsrör m 1932-39 022sB3HkrgJ9.jpg
Spetsor M37
Spetstidanslagsrör m 1937 012sB3Hkr1ZV.jpg
Spetsor M41
Spetsrör m 41 022wYzp6FuZ9.jpg

Do you have data on these fuses (instant, delay and how much delay) ?

There was in fact a Spetsror M42 so it may be this one?
Spetsror M42
View attachment 144645
The earlier spetsror had the characteristic look of the Bofors fuses.
Spetsor M32-39
View attachment 144646
Spetsor M37
View attachment 144647
Spetsor M41
View attachment 144644

Do you have data on these fuses (instant, delay and how much delay) ?
Spetsrör existed but was not used on the 250 kg minbomb m/37 or 40 which were the bombs i originally thought this was since it was meant for the b 3. And there is data for it in the papers i sent, although i didnt photograph the blueprints of them due to memory shortage on muh phone.

looks like a mischlastabwurf behalter.

Attachments

• Fl29611.jpg
    Fl29611.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Fl29601.jpg
    Fl29601.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 9
Blockhaj, I understand. By looking at the drawings you sent, I see that ww2 period's 50-240-500kg minbombs did not have a nose pocket for such a fuse. So even if the fuse existed it could not be used on them.

Blu97 on the left is the bomb we discuss (first post) and on the right is a mischlastabwurf behalter (Michlastbehalter 250) shown in your the drawings you uploaded:
032ynU6smZdp.jpg images Abwurfbehälter .jpg
The rear cone, fins and reinforcing ring are specific to Swedish bombs. The body of the Michlastbehalter is also quite different from a bomb body on such close views as these photos are.

Last edited:
So not rly part of the OP but i have found some more clues on the 500 kg brandbomb.
The Saab 24 was aparently gonna have a 500 kg brandbomb as part of its possible bombload. The Saab 24 was cancelled in 1943/44 but looking at the pic they probablty started doing tests on this bomb.

Thanks for the info, Blockhaj. Another question - by looking at the color blueprint of the 12kg Sprangbomb one can see that 3 different detonators were used (with different color band to differenciate between them: no band, white band, red band, green band) - probably immediate impact, short delay, long delay, longer delay Do you have data on their delays?
2st rullplanscher för undervisning. Visar 12kg sprängbomb FVM.149418 (1).jpg

These photos were posted quite a time ago by Fjord House on this forum, looking for identification:

weet niet 025.jpg weet niet 029.jpgweet niet 033.jpg

it seem to be this same bomb as this elusive 500kg Swedish brandbomb of the 40s developped for the Saab 24.
Brandbombe Four control pins (wings). Hull in the middle of the container called firepipe.jpg
Brandbombe Filling in the 40s.jpg