What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Inch Gun IV 29/5/1900

Looking to identify this piece of inert ordnance. Bottle shaped iron with brass top, overall height 16.5", diameter 5" inch, weight 12.5kg approx. Any interest / info on the piece?

P1010142.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010145.jpg

[ame][/ame]

I'm Not 100% on this but I think is a shrapnel shell for the 5in BL coast defence gun.

Others may know much more.

A rare piece of kit.

BOCN 5 inch shrapnel.jpg

Picture from Treatise on Ammunition 1887.

Quatermass

Last edited:
Hi,I cant load my Ammo treatise on cd to confirm! This is very scarce in this nick,the fuse is also scarce,would look nice in my collection.Postage(painfull !)Tony.

I have had a look in my 1887 Treatise and at the text associated with the diagram posted above. The projectile design with the break on the ogive is consistent with a Mk III 5 in projectile yet the markings denote it as a Mk IV which did not have the break on the ogive but rather behind the driving band. Does anyone have any information post 1887 and before 1900 to shed any light on this? The 1887 treatise does not indicate that there was a star shell for the 5 in.

Leo

Hello Bombmonki, I'd hazard a guess that the IV on the shell indicates the mark of gun (Ordnance BL 5in Mk 4) rather than the mark of shell?

Again i'm happy to be proved wrong if other members know more.

Quatermass

You could be right, however, the British tended to put the mark of the projectile rather than the gun on their projectile bases. This is certainly the case for all the early pr series that I have come across. Acording to the Treatise of Ammunition 1877 all service projectiles for BL guns have the calibre of the gun and the mark of the projectile marked on the base. The 1915 is not as explicite, however, all the diagrams have the mark of the projectile on the base with the other markings that detail station monogram (RL) and construction (FS = forged steel). The 1915 TofA refers to a Mk V and VI shrapnel for the 5-in gun except they were cast steel. I will try and look at an ealier ToA tomorrow as there are some from around 1900 at work.

Thanks

Thanks for all the information , very impressed with the knowledge of the BOCN members so far. the sectional diagram of the projectile on the 1887 treatise looks very interesting, I bet thats a rare document. Thankyou for all interest in this item, Sorry if I havent been able to recieve or reply to all messages, the projectile now has found a new home, :tinysmile_cry_t4: and I look forwrd to finding more items like this in the future, Matt :smile: