What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Torpedo-Duplex Pistol & Ulan Control.

Sprockets

British WW2 Torpedoes used a Duplex Pistol, which swivelled on contact, so it could be fired at extreme angles of contact-there was thus no need for the space-hungry inertia type of pistol. Has anyone seen a cutaway of this device? Also, there is much talk of "Ulan" type depth control being used. What was special about this, and I assume it was copied from a German design, around 1890's? Perhaps "Ulan" was a code name, or the name of a German naval vessel on which it was trialed.

Finally, I was informed that sapmtinnhan tried to PM. I can now receive again, but I cannot locate him in the list of members! Thanks-a bit off topic, but he is most likely to see message here!

Correction-NOT DUPLEX PISTOL! This was the Magnetically Triggered device-My mistake! Stupid! The pistol I am interested in was the WW2 pistol, which tilted on impact!
Apologies to all for misleading title!

What I should have stated is that it is details of the British Mk111A Pistol which are of interest-there is a cutaway illustration of this pistol on the web, but no details on how it operates. It appears to move the strikers to a active position via rotation from a large safety propeller. The head seems to swivel, after a locking pin is sheared, so as to ensure that an oblique contact still serves to operate the striker pins..

Third time correct!