What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1941 3" M42B2 HE projectile

Just arrived today from a maw and paw auction. Need info and all comments appreciated as internet info and BOCN search slim on a M42B2. The auction house only had pictures, no description, on this lot. Many thanks to BOCN for educating me in identifying a yellow round, and to take a chance on bidding. Pictured is as received , I will wash in a phosphoric or citric acid to stabilize and clean it up. Markings, the fuze has no markings, other than SQ and Delay, and " empty" on the lower fuze base. Question one: is the silver base (ink marked empty) the supplemental charge? I own no fuzes with the silver base. Two: is this projectile correct to stick in an Army 3" steel case? Yellow projo markings: " Ordnance mark, Lot 70B -1, 1941, SC - 31 N , M42B2". It has a slotted screw on the projo near the nose. Also noteworthy, it is filed with what looks like large lead compressed shot, probably to give it the correct weight. Very excited, as today is my bday. It was shipped by 2 day USPS mail, it took seven days and was opened with a letter stating " the packaging has been damaged, please call.... ". See initial pics, I will post final pics after I stabilize it. All commentsimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg appreciated.

Last edited:
I post this because I have had Ordnance items confiscated by US CBP shipped to Italy, I shipped that item US Post. This note was found in the damaged box. My advice, ship Inert Ordnance UPS ground, never had a problem. This two day US Post package took 7 days to reach me.i was worried. image.jpeg

Last edited:
The silver base is the booster or gaine. It increases the blast from the fuze to the main HE explosive. It is usually filled with nasty stuff, and should not be messed with by untrained people. Black powder filled shells usually do not have boosters, but static electricity is the problem there. Many sellers are ignorant of what they have and consider if there is no propellent in the case the round is inert. You should ask if you can see inside the projectile, whether there is a booster, if it is empty. Even if the item has the Kaisers finger prints on it, pass if you are not sure. Each year,hundreds of tons of 100 year old stuff is found in Belgium and France and still goes BOOM. Be Safe.

The silver base is the booster or gaine. It increases the blast from the fuze to the main HE explosive. It is usually filled with nasty stuff, and should not be messed with by untrained people. Black powder filled shells usually do not have boosters, but static electricity is the problem there. Many sellers are ignorant of what they have and consider if there is no propellent in the case the round is inert. You should ask if you can see inside the projectile, whether there is a booster, if it is empty. Even if the item has the Kaisers finger prints on it, pass if you are not sure. Each year,hundreds of tons of 100 year old stuff is found in Belgium and France and still goes BOOM. Be Safe.
I stated the projo is filled with compressed lead shot, no doubts there. The booster is marked inert and is hollow, ( it is empty- I disassembled it). I do not pass on items I am interested in- far to many inert ordnance pieces in the US are destroyed because of hysteria....or rather, far to many inert ordnance pieces end up in the authorities bookcase collection because of hysteria....I know of three local events where inert pieces were confiscated ( due to deceased vets kids getting hysterical and calling authorities) and now sit in the "trained" authorities personal collections. That said, I am interested in the rarity ranking ( as Hazord posted awhile back), desirability, and collectibility of an M42 HE 1941 projectile. There always comes the day when collections are sold off, and I note comments today for when it must get sold off in the future.

Last edited:
I cringe every time you say Phosphoric Acid! If you use Evaporust, it will take the rust off and leave the paint. You have a valuable almost 80 year old projectile with original paint. Ruin the paint and you greatly reduce its value.

You aren't going to Mars, slow down.

I would remove the lead though, but not by melting.

Hi,

According to TM 9-1901 (Artillery ammunition) the M42B2 projectile is a practice shell loaded with black powder and fitted with the M43 fuze. Should be blue with white markings

Image13.jpg

Only mention of the M42B2 in the complete rounds chart :
Image14.jpg

Regards,

S.

luckily the booster has been stencilled 'EMPTY' by the manufacturer - normal US practice when the fuze is an inert drill or practice fuze.

Any ideas why it is yellow instead of blue? There is absolutely no hint of blue- a repaint done in FS standard yellow many , many years ago? The lead filling also puzzling. Theories welcomed. Last question, will it be " correct" to stick in a 3 in MKII M2B1 steel case I have? See pics of the auction lot I won.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I cringe every time you say Phosphoric Acid! If you use Evaporust, it will take the rust off and leave the paint. You have a valuable almost 80 year old projectile with original paint. Ruin the paint and you greatly reduce its value.

You aren't going to Mars, slow down.

I would remove the lead though, but not by melting.
I am taking Hazord's advice on using Evaporust to remove the rust. I am starting a new thread and will post progress with pictures and methods, step by step.

Evaporust is certainly kinder than phosphoric acid, but i have found it still does remove paint,seems to soften some paints and when you wash the item the paint comes off too!.
Maybe just try it for short periods,I use it often and find it very effective,but only use it if i'm prepared to sacrifice the paint.

yes evaporust is an excellent product,but you need to keep an eye on it,check every hour or so for some items with paint that you don't want removed