What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evaporust rust remover on my 1941 M42 3". Step by step.

I do not want to damage the yellow paint on this shell. The rust is thick in some places, hopefully not deeply pitted under the rust. Hazord recommends Evaporust, I found it at O'Reilleys auto store, $10. I jumped right in and followed directions. I painted the liquid on, wrapped in a rag, used magnets to hold it in place, poured in more liquid and placed it in a plastic bag. I will unwrap and check it every 6 hours or so. See first pictures. First thoughts, this stuff is water thin, I will have to turn the bag to distribute the liquid. I washed my hands in it to check if it is harmful, no adverse reactions...day one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 85
You can also go to Walmart and find different sized projo shaped Tupperware type containers for total immersion without using too much liquid.

Evapo-Rust is a great product. I cleaned up my Linco "pin-fire" pistol with it. No mechanical effort, just a dip for two hours and then flush with water.
Linco.jpg

I have had good results with this stuff,but as instructions say,full immersion for best results,wetting is not recommend,the solution
can be re used a few times until goes blackish.Use a container just big enough so object can be just fully immersed to use least
amount,you could put other items in as well to take up volume of space and bring solution level up.
Tim.

Here it is after 11 hours. See before/ after pics. All rust is gone except for a few small dotted areas around the driving band. Now that the rust is gone and bare metal is exposed, what to do on the bare metal spots? Oil wipe down, wax? No idea. Please comment with the best proven method. I plan to stick it in a spare 3" steel B2 case which is as beat up looking as the projectile.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 106
I prefer to use conservator's wax on bare metal rather than any type of oils which can contaminate surrounding surfaces and items plus it will eventually dry and leave the item unprotected.

I prefer to use conservator's wax on bare metal rather than any type of oils which can contaminate surrounding surfaces and items plus it will eventually dry and leave the item unprotected.
Can you suggest any brands easily found here in the States?

Can you suggest any brands easily found here in the States?

The wax I am using was purchased from Lee Valley and is literally called "Conservator's Wax". That being said, Renaissance wax is highly regarded although I've never used it myself.

Great stuff. Used it on pre 1800 Scottish weapons years ago. Have not used it on ordnance, but it certainly should work. HIGHLY RECOMMEND !

I have a few grenades, Jap, Mk2's, I may try it on. What I do not like in my grenade application would be the solution will dissolve ALL the rust, I do not think it would look right being bright metal. I ordered the Renaissance wax on eBay, I am thinking to apply it on the lightly rusted color so as to keep it dark, not bare bright metal like the Evaprust does. Will the Renaissance wax work on sealing it up against further rust....I currently wipe them down with CLP, a cleaner, preservative gun oil. They are stored indoors, so no problems yet, but I wipe them down every 6 moths or so.

Will the Renaissance wax work on sealing it up against further rust....I currently wipe them down with CLP, a cleaner, preservative gun oil. They are stored indoors, so no problems yet, but I wipe them down every 6 moths or so.

The purpose of conservator's wax is to protect the item against corrosion / degradation and to allow items to be handled without damage from the oils in your skin.

the evaporust will only take it back to bright metal if you leave it in to long.try it for 15 minutes at a time on lightly rusted items.

Pic of the 1941 3" HE sitting in an old laquered brass 1942 dated case. I did not want to remove the laquer. Done with this one. I used the Evaporust on the 120mm AP and monitored it so as to not remove all the rust to bare metal, Renaissance waxed it and am well pleased with the result. The 1941 would look better if not taken to bare metal, but still a nice looking example.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are aware, but the U.S. used to leave the bourrelet on projectiles unpainted.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the U.S. used to leave the bourrelet on projectiles unpainted.
Many thanks for the information. I have a better appreciation for it. Also good information in determining period authenticity and determining repaints.

I believe they stopped the unpainted bourrelet practice during WWII. I've seen photos of 16 inch Battleship projectiles in the barbette with unpainted bourrelets. The projectiles shown are APCappedHE approx 2700 Lbs. Designed to pierce 16 inches of Homogeneous Armor Plate and then explode from delay base fuze. The white band is for tracer, and the red band signifies the windscreen is filled with red dye for target marking.

Attachments

• AP Projos image.jpeg
    AP Projos image.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I have searched the net for unpainted bourrelet examples, not much found. A US ordnance manual pic of a 3" showing unpainted, and a blog entry by Ray Meketa stating US pre- WW2 bourrelet being unpainted. Interesting fact, unknown to most casual collectors. Anyone have examples to post?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I wish these were in my collection. USN 14 inch HC and 90mm AAA both WWII.

Attachments

• PICT1293.jpg
    PICT1293.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 40
  • PICT1245.jpg
    PICT1245.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1840.jpg
    1840.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0312.jpg
    PICT0312.jpg