What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange marking on 150 lb. GP Bomb

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Strange marking on 150 lb. GP Bomb T-1

This American 150 lb. GP bomb has some strange markings:

GP
150 LBS M1
N-M
T 1M
11-44

It is unusual to see "lbs". Given there is an "M" number, I do not think the T 1M" is a "T" number. Once they assigned an "M" number the "T" number disappeared. Since all the letters are the same size and appear to be the same age it does not appear the "M1" was added later and they just did not remove the "T" number. I have no clue what the "N-M" is. Nothing about the markings seems normal for a U.S. bomb in 1944.

IMG_1830.jpg IMG_1831.jpg

Very strange !
First time I heard something about a 150 lbs GP Bomb !
And question marking, generally, all the M models of GP bombs have a two-digit identification number (M30, M31, M34,...)

Yoda

The 150lbs bomb was an "improvised" bomb produced in order to palliate the shortage in 100lbs bombs.
It was made by adding a AN-M81 frag bomb tail unit to the body an empty 115lbs M70 chemical bomb (with the original tail unit, there was a problem of bomb stability during its fall).
Its official name was 150lbs GP T1
This may explain the "strange" markings on the body of this bomb.

Last edited: