What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three 75mm decorated cases

Gspragge

Premium Member
Here they are - The Kiev 43 is rather unusual me thinks, if any one
can comment on that I would be interested to hear. These aren't mine
and I'm helping some one else.

Attachments

• trench art.jpg
    trench art.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
ive been wondering for years how they put those deep flutes in the case and get them all the same?
anyone know

As with 90% of similar "Trench Art" pieces , they were made after WW1 in professional French machine shops utilising the millions of cases left around the country . It would be impossible to get that sort of detail without heavy industrial machinery . If you've ever tried to get a dent out of a shell case , you'll understand that ! They were sold in local shops as souvenirs to tourists who visited the battlefields . Hope this helps .

Kiev 1943 is different from the usual though and not a German victory , post ww2 made or during. I'm seeing if I can
get the spelling of the words around the top of it, might give some context.
Here is a rough reading of the words around the top;

"[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]The first word looks like Emlik Second word is difficult but maybe. Irmuskamuak M’s and u’s are difficult "[/FONT]

Last edited:
seigfreid,yes I realize that most trenchart wasn't made in the trenches,especially pieces like this but would still like to know the process of making the fluted shells

Can any one read this name --- I'm stumped ~

and what language is the other one - and translation .

ROMACNE

Attachments

• Name.jpg
    Name.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0001 2 2.33.02 PM.jpg
    IMG_0001 2 2.33.02 PM.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
And I recon the last word in the sentence is Baimak which means permits in basque

These can be hard to read due to the "artistic" nature of the lettering.
ROMACNE turns out to be ROMAGNE, this is a town In the Meaus Argonne
where the Americans had a battle on a specific day.

The 14th of October (1918) was a very significant day. The day also saw the 32nd Division’s capture of Côte Dame Marie and Romagne.
In its attack, the division got to show how much it had learned. Aided by a few companies from the 125th Regiment, the 128th outflanked
the German trenches before Romagne, entered the village, and then pressed onward for half a mile.

Attachments

• 1918 map.jpg
    1918 map.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have put the Romagne case on ebay U.S. if any one is interested.
It's an American battle so it belongs with somebody in the U.S. I figure.
Not likely a common battle name to find on one with limited numbers
involved and only on one day ~

ebay # 232866196630
eBay item number:

eBay i