What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are they both French Navy Issue ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
Two Hotchkiss 37mm projectiles, an early one without the groove and the regular kind.
Both have Anchor marks ( The anchor does not appear to be a foul'd anchor with rope across it)
The older projectile Anchor & H = Hotchkiss manufacture. The other Anchor and J RM, I am familiar
with RM on the Model 1888 common shells, but the J ?. Red nose over black, I don't know French
colourations . Thoughts any one.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 46
An opinion on the right hand projectile is;
J = Ingolstat Navy Arsenal
RM = Reich Ministerium

This would date this projectile as prior to the production of the Gruson
style projectiles and indicate the use of Hotchkiss patent munitions ~

Would the case be imported Hotchkiss coiled cases prior to the manufacture
of solid cases, or perhaps the solid cases were made prior to the manufacture of the Gruson
type projectiles.

I have other Gruson style projectiles with the identical J stamp.

Last edited:
Just bumping this;

Now come on, this site is full of very knowledgable European collectors and no one
can comment on this ? German Marine munitions are popular on this site ~

German Marine munitions are popular on this site ~

Documents about german 2nd WW ammunition are available and cover a relatively high percentage of the existing artefacts. Some of these 2nd WW documents even contain some stuff from late WW1. But documents which are especially covering 1st WW german ammunition are virtually not existing. The few we have do only contain very shallow knowledge. I don't know even one manual about early german naval ammunition. That's the bitter reality. But the same problem seems to exist about many other countries' navys.

About your left shell I found the following in a french book (Manuel de pyrotechnie à l'usage de l'artillerie de la marine, 1880):

Attachments

• 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 17
Last edited: