What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pr Streamline markings

37patt

Hello all,
I recently picked up an 18 pounder streamline HE projectile and have some questions about the markings on the shell.
The body is painted yellow ochre overall with a 1/2" red ring 1 inch below the top of the shell and a 1 inch green ring with TNT on it 3 1/4 inches from the top.
The first set of marks are stamped into the steel; the numbers and letters have a distinct gap between them but I think that is just the style.
5 1 ?????
1 7 ?????
18Pr 18 pounder projectile
I C Mark I C - indicates style of projectile - 'C' denotes over 6 C.R.H. and up to 8 inch - What does this mean??
B S bar steel
M C manufacturers initials ?????? do we know who it is?
D ?????
3-39 manufacture date of projectile

How close am I for the ones I've filled in and are there any ideas for the ones unknown. In addition the whole 6 C.R.H has me very puzzled.

Stenciled on the front is;
EXPR. C.E exploder type C.E (composition exploding)
2401S drawing number of the filling method
8 ?????

Stenciled on the back is;
D.A.C/\ 14-11-39 Dominion Arsenal (filling station) // Canadian govt ownership mark // date of filling
5 (in a segmented circle) lot number

I think I have all the stencil marks correct except for the '8' on the front.

It came with a 222B IM fuze but I think this was only used on the 9.2 inch projectile. Would I be correct in looking for a No. 115E or No. 117 fuze as a replacement?

Sorry about no pictures but I have never figured them out, thanks all for any help.

Eric

Hi Eric,

If I'm right, 6 CRH refers to the curve of the ogive on the shell. "Calibre Radius Head"-so in this case, if you take the calibre of the shell and multiply it by 6 and were to draw a circle of that equivalent diametre, the curve of the line on that circle would represent the curve of your shell head.
I'm sure someone here can describe it more eloquently....
Cheers.

Thanks Starshell,

That actually does make sense. One down and a couple more to go - must say it's quite the journey sometimes to decipher the markings on ordnance.

Eric

You're welcome Eric,

Good luck in deciphering the rest. I'm sure the chaps here will find the answers.
Cheers!