Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 40 X 311 case

  1. #1
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,547
    Images
    9
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 196 Times in 135 Posts

    40 X 311 case

    Hi Just picked this up the other day can anybody tell me what the marking are please is it a L/60 case.
    cheers
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andysarmoury; 26th July 2018 at 08:54 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 440 Times in 252 Posts
    Yes, it's a Bofors L/60 (or L/56 - both designations have been used for the same round).

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Williams For This Useful Post:

    Andysarmoury (26th July 2018)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 149 Times in 77 Posts
    Made by D.F. Tayler (not Taylor) the pin makers.
    Mark II case with the large No. 18 primer. The mark II case had a larger primer hole to accept the long No. 12 small primer, and could accept either the No. 18 primer or the No. 12 primer with an adapter. Later Mk III (not used in the UK - Canada & Australia only) and Mk IV cases had only a small primer pocket for the No. 12 primer.
    Last edited by Darkman; 26th July 2018 at 11:12 AM.

  5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darkman For This Useful Post:

    AE501 (26th July 2018), Andysarmoury (26th July 2018), bdgreen (26th July 2018), doppz92 (26th July 2018), Quatermass (26th July 2018), ron3350 (26th July 2018)

  6. #4
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,547
    Images
    9
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 196 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    Made by D.F. Tayler (not Taylor) the pin makers.
    Mark II case with the large No. 18 primer. The mark II case had a larger primer hole to accept the long No. 12 small primer, and could accept either the No. 18 primer or the No. 12 primer with an adapter. Later Mk III (not used in the UK - Canada & Australia only) and Mk IV cases had only a small primer pocket for the No. 12 primer.
    Thank you very much Darkman for your quick reply,its much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire. U.K.
    Posts
    826
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 151 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
    Made by D.F. Tayler (not Taylor) the pin makers.
    Mark II case with the large No. 18 primer. The mark II case had a larger primer hole to accept the long No. 12 small primer, and could accept either the No. 18 primer or the No. 12 primer with an adapter. Later Mk III (not used in the UK - Canada & Australia only) and Mk IV cases had only a small primer pocket for the No. 12 primer.
    Mark III not used by the UK? Not manufactured certainly.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Quatermass For This Useful Post:

    Andysarmoury (26th July 2018)

  9. #6
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,547
    Images
    9
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 196 Times in 135 Posts
    What would be the correct projectile for ?
    Cheers
    Andy

  10. #7
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Southend on Sea
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked 653 Times in 237 Posts
    Just about any British 40mm Bofors HE shell, Practice HE shell, SAP shot, AP shot, Practice projectile (representative shot), which is an HE shell body filled HES (High Explosive Substitute), Practice shot.
    Where there is a fuze hole it could be fitted with a Fuze 247 (early), 251 or 255 for HE, otherwise or for the HES filled shell Plug Representing Fuze (PRF) 251.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to AE501 For This Useful Post:

    Andysarmoury (26th July 2018)

  12. #8
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    1,547
    Images
    9
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 196 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AE501 View Post
    Just about any British 40mm Bofors HE shell, Practice HE shell, SAP shot, AP shot, Practice projectile (representative shot), which is an HE shell body filled HES (High Explosive Substitute), Practice shot.
    Where there is a fuze hole it could be fitted with a Fuze 247 (early), 251 or 255 for HE, otherwise or for the HES filled shell Plug Representing Fuze (PRF) 251.
    Thank you AE501, i will keep a look out for one.
    Cheers
    Andy

  13. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    332
    Thanked 149 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Mark III not used by the UK? Not manufactured certainly.
    Yes Patrick, poor choice of words - should have said Mk III not made in the UK.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top