What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm ap

BMG50

Premium Member
Bought a 20mm cannon AP head described as a test shot used armour plate for 110 and 139 cases. Measures 54mm long, 20mm wide body not including the band and 40mm from top of band to top of point. Is this what it has been described as, a test piece? Thought it looked a bit short for a British 20mm cannon AP round looked short and dumpy like a German AP head.

Attachments

• 20mmap3.jpg
    20mmap3.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20mmap2.jpg
    20mmap2.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20mmap1.jpg
    20mmap1.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 49
Many of these "plate test" projectiles were fired at Eskmeals Gunnery Range on the North West coast of England. They were supplied to the range loose and were hand loaded on-site into 20x110 Hispano cases. They were fired through a fixed test, single-shot, barrel. A range of velocities were aimed for, each shot at armour plate was measured using a Chronograph and the next round was loaded after calculating a new charge weight. The purpose was to find what velocity just penetrated the plate. This result was compared with other batches of armour plate supplied to the range for testing. Your projectile probably did not fully penetrate as it still has its driving band which is usually scuffed off during passage through the plate.

As well as these 20mm's, many 2 Pdr, 6 Pdr, 17 Pdr and 20 Pdr's were also used to test batches of armour plate.

gravelbelly

I remember Eskmeals being referred to as P & EE Eskmeals, the P & EE part meaning `Proof and Experimental Establishment.' While we're on the subject, I first went to Asfordby in Leicestershire in 1981. I only knew the MOD part as Asfordby Gun Range, not that there were any guns there at that time, it looked as though it had been disused for years. Does anyone know if that was a P & EE too?