What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US made cases for Russian 76.2mm

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post some pictures of two cases I have which are for the Russian M1902 field gun, 76.2x385. Both I think where made in the US for export. The chromed case is dated 1916 and the brass one with a transit primer is dated 1917. I think they have travelled a fair amount before ending up in the UK!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 60
Here is another US or Canadian made case head stamp. I believe the "C inside a C" mark is Canadian.

Attachments

• Canadian made Russian 76mm case.jpg
    Canadian made Russian 76mm case.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 56
Hi, I have these two 7.62 x 385 casings, but cannot tell where they are from, could they be US made as well? One of yours has what seems to be a transit plug, where only cases made in the US and then shipped over and loaded? How come they seem to be so fairly common? Thanks. Frank.

Attachments

• IMG_5754.JPG
    IMG_5754.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5752.JPG
    IMG_5752.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5755.JPG
    IMG_5755.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 25
Maybe this will help:
https://archive.org/details/manufactureofart00alforich
The cases were reused and some are found with more modern projectiles. Still in use at the end of WW2. There was a recent discovery of two rounds with former AA projectiles, the Sh-361 (stick shrapnell). One had US and one had French case.
Bob

Last edited:
Is that a genuine transit primer, or a pipe plug fitted later? I have seen primer pockets plugged in various ways so the case would hold water for use as a flower vase.