What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Primers 37 Mk2 and L6A2.

ron3350

I have two primers which I have seen screwed into 20Pr cases. I ask if these primers are for universal use or special for specific loadings like APDS or HE ? The Australian 37 Mk2 is made by MF and filled at St.Marys. L6A2 is British and has the end cap.

3a%1OpgvSqenVrntrTjP0g_thumb_318.jpgJBSWlDm4QDu86iq9LQS%3g_thumb_316.jpg+PyEcnxTRemRmDVrQlrYdQ_thumb_317.jpg

Both these primers were designed specifically for use with Gun 20 Pr Tank.
Primer Electric No 37 was peculiar to APCBC, APDS/T and DS/T. (Mks 3 - 6), exclusively with the Mk1 cartridge case.
Mk2 cases were for HE, Smoke, Blank and DS/T Mks 1 and 2 and used the Primer Electric No 17.
L6 was used with 20 pr APDS Mk5 in the Mk1 case.

Thank you AE501 for sorting out my primers. Most of my 20Pr cases had no primers so I will match them to the correct case and base stencil.
I have one case with the 17 MK N3 primer. N means Navy? and I have these in 4.5" Mk 3-5 Guns cases so must have been used by both forces. I thought it was a mistake when in my 20Pr case with a mis-matched date. One last query.
I have a drawing of a Canadian case stamped: 20 PR C5 Lot IVI-1-2 1968 with a Canadian US type primer M80A1. What is the C5 meaning? Cheers. Ron.

This means Charge Type 5 and is associated with the 20 Pr HE/T and should be in the equivalent of a Mk 2 case and the Primer M80A1 must be the equivalent of a Primer No 17 in size.
There were several Charge Types with HE/T particularly due to placement of foil to ensure total melt before going into the bore. Partial melt caused problems and led to foil being omitted from some Charge Types.
Primer Electric No 17 was designed for the RN for use with the 5.25" low angle AA gun and Mk1 was exclusive to them. A quick response time was required against low flying aircraft. The army saw the need for quick response times in tank to tank engagements and adopted this primer and the even quicker reaction with the No 37 used with shot in conjunction with chopped multi tubular propellants..

Last edited:
I have been searching for the lower one in your picture (37Mk2) for some years now to complete a cutaway model. Do you sell or trade it?
Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Sorry pzgr40 but I am 5 primers short for my collection cases so not for sale/trade. A cutaway would look nice. Ron.