What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British L Series Signal Flares 1970 and Later.

ron3350

I collect flares from all countries and wish to expand the thread by tigbrand and learn more about post 1970's British L series flares and their tins.
This is all my collection photos of tins and my latest cartridges. What is the latest dated L series flare and when did the tins change to the plastic L223A1 containers? Please add any new photos of cartridges and tins. Ron.

7%Ae0Ff8SfWcnlgndkHjeA_thumb_31e.jpgbx1ZNNbcTaia6wrXUubPZQ_thumb_319.jpgFNPN5ak8Q+WQvlb+emNSiw_thumb_31a.jpgQ1w%lzQKQLOErppeTRyF7w_thumb_31b.jpgQwGiyTeDTFyItzLeUn6GoA_thumb_31c.jpgSslgCV2WRLeUiG6A6tp9TQ_thumb_31d.jpgC2Q5F%oQSIWWldjpgzKRWw_thumb_320.jpgSEA%mP++S52QgmtUjwdiTA_thumb_31f.jpg

What a nice collection, i use to find these over the ranges where i live, cases and tins. Not sure if you know but there are variations of the cartridges colour markings in that some have a coloured star. Not sure when the plastic tins came about but wondered when the services stopped using flare pistols.

Hi Ron, Thanks for your pics and post. The packaging changed from tin to plastic in the early 70s. My latest L3A2 cart is 2003. I have attached pics of 3 x plastic containers,a fractional stamped L5A1 tin and the holy grail, A yellow L series cartridge,the only one I have ever seen and it only took 20 years to find!(got there in the end Roller!) Cheers Tig.

Thanks tigbrand for the additions. It is hard to find UK items over here so nice to see what I am missing. Yellow must be scarce. Need a photo of a tin.
Can you explain the FRAC stencil? Red flares are also scarce here but lots of Illum. How about some cartridge photos too. Ron.

frac is short for fraction and is a term used on ammunition boxes that have been opened and some of the contents used

Hi Ron, i have never seen a yellow tin,and as mentioned,only my yellow case. The next scarcest over here are Red L5A2, I only have a few. I will add to this next week with some cartridge pics as Im a bit busy at the moment. I read your article on flares btw but perhaps you could share it with Bocn members too? You have some very rare flare cartridges. Thanks tig.

Hello Ron
Here is a very interesting tin from March 1967. It is still labeled for cartridges L3A1. The model designation was crossed out and replaced by the designation L3A2. The Cartridges have the lot number 1. This Shows when the A1 cartridges were replaced by the A2 cartridges.
Greetings from Germany
Horst
DSC_2008.JPGDSC_2009.JPGDSC_2010.JPG

Thanks everyone for adding items to this thread. I wrote 3 articles on Australian signal cartridges. 1" and 1 1/2" (2 parts). See ACCA Journals.
I would have to learn how to scan them for BOCN members.