What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assorted Signal Cartridges and Riot Control Cartridges.

Very nice collection, you even have the line throwing sumuley cartridges in the round red tin.

Nice to see the Anti-Riot / Less Lethal rounds, especially the L1A1 (purple stripe = experimental) and the loose wood baton. The L1A1 is on my wish list, and I’ve not seen the CART 38mm MULTI BALL Mk2 before, so nice to see that also.

What is the grey case next to the L2A1, and what is the writing on the case head?

Is the bluish case (horizontal at bottom of picture) a Primetake training, or is it something else?

Are the rounds over to the right from Federal Labs or Civil Protection (1946) London Ltd. ?

A very nice international collection of Pyro cartridges. What are the small cartridges, first picture, upper left, round open tin, shells with red laquer closure. They seem to be only a few centimeter high. Because of the red laquer closure, I assume a red star. But because of the small height they can't rise high. What type of launcher were they ment to be used with and what purpose were they ment for ?
regards,
Bellifortis.

I just got home from playing the great sport of darts. Pleased to see some replies but must wait till tomorrow. It is midnight now.
These were photos I took to show a fellow collector some examples. I forgot the elite collectors want two case views plus wad and base markings. I should have straightened up the printing for a posed photo. Let me know if I have some odd items and I will take better photos.
For Bellifortis. They are Schermuly Rocket Pistol lgniters the same as the other red tin with both lids on top. I answered another IAA query and never put the lid back on or replaced the cardboard circle. I have the brown label and the square foam box that was made in Sweden for Schermuly. Shorter aluminium case.

vXxQoDmIRtCcsJ0rDPDgUw_thumb_32e.jpgAagVhoK4SPCLoik9TWVY7A_thumb_337.jpgnP9HGtjiSOqjd4bTHunFmA_thumb_331.jpgxcy31WnlTo2zKKhihh8Lrw_thumb_330.jpgSome individual photos of selected items for comments. I was lucky years ago to get a display box of most of the riot inart shells from UK/Ireland. The wood and rubber bullets, S&W and Federal shells are shown. For Reccetrooper: yes it is a Primetake Training case. I just got it. A very small collection of riot control when compared with yours no doubt, but all I have found. We do not have many riots over here. The individual photos.

1. Civil Protection CP Practice Shell LR. The container has a mis-matched CS Flite-Rite top.

2. Civil Protection CN Short Range with container. Yellow base with SR in black.

3. Two 38mm Multi Baton Mk2. SPRA is lot 1 5-79 with headstamp 12/78 FPL.(Flowform Parts Ltd).Black flat top baton.
The other one is also Lot 001 7/90 with no headstamp.

4. Grey case with grey flat top baton. Headstamp marked in black: Flowform Parts Ltd Aug 1969.

5. A heavy USA case 40mm NL Crowd Dispersal M1029. Fired but had 49 rubber balls 0.48" diam.. NL = non-lethal. Starline 38 short colt primer.

6. An exptl hand or pistol launch marked: Cartridge 40MM Riot Control CS XM 674. Lot No PBA-3-98. Has a red base and a split plastic adaptor for pistol launch.
The cap is roughened for grip and contains the firing pin for hand launching. Who is PBA ? USA I guess. Any info?

7. The L1A1 wood baton.I forgot the purple stripe meant exptl. I had assumed someone made this up. It came from the UK lot and is hand marked.Unfired ?
You can see the red band and old case print: IRRT. SPRA 11/65? Lot 1 Reg No AB6/680? Headstamp is RG. 8/64. Sealant at mouth and on wood. Maybe they
used this case for the xptl. or do you think it is made for the display? The loose wood projectile came with this too. Cheers. Ron.

Attachments

• QhDAZK0TTAuYBdpnZ%VxPw_thumb_32d.jpg
    QhDAZK0TTAuYBdpnZ%VxPw_thumb_32d.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 28
  • AcpA3AZ6RBeWp5DYTgvnGA_thumb_332.jpg
    AcpA3AZ6RBeWp5DYTgvnGA_thumb_332.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 7cgsWi+6SX2peWS3Lir2bQ_thumb_333 2.jpg
    7cgsWi+6SX2peWS3Lir2bQ_thumb_333 2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 8AwZgIqRQLuJY2tZQ+ogww_thumb_334.jpg
    8AwZgIqRQLuJY2tZQ+ogww_thumb_334.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 24
  • mFJvTMynQk6jJZsSILTtig_thumb_338.jpg
    mFJvTMynQk6jJZsSILTtig_thumb_338.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 27
  • %Ut1u8gaRe2XyC9XsXQD0w_thumb_32f.jpg
    %Ut1u8gaRe2XyC9XsXQD0w_thumb_32f.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 22
  • RCCBV9l%ThWj3mqBigJI9w_thumb_336.jpg
    RCCBV9l%ThWj3mqBigJI9w_thumb_336.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 22
Excellent pictures and information, thank you. It will take me a while to absorb it all.

Nice to see the Civil Protection (1946) Ltd. items, they are very difficult to find and there is little information about the company.

PBA is Pine Bluff Arsenal in Arkansas. Interesting that it has a 3-98 date, as I have seen a photo of one dated 3-72. That’s a long time to remain experimental.

I think your L1A1 is correct, but I haven’t examined one, either production or experimental. In my opinion if someone was going to make a display model using an irritant case they would probably not paint the purple stripe on it, would probably try to make the lettering tidier, and would probably find it difficult to obtain an early dated case to use.

Last edited: