What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is this an L7 MkI VT fuze?

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
hi, I wonder if anyone can confirm the L (or N) number of this fuze. It looks similar to an L7 MkI but is it? The only part of its designation remaining is 'MK1'

any thoughts?

thanks, Dave

Attachments

• 100_4225.jpg
    100_4225.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_4226.jpg
    100_4226.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_4227.jpg
    100_4227.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 49
Dave,

It's another one of the 'CVT' fuzes. The Mk1 makes it a very early L Series. The L7 and L7A came as a Mk1.

Tim

hi, I wonder if anyone can confirm the L (or N) number of this fuze. It looks similar to an L7 MkI but is it? The only part of its designation remaining is 'MK1'

any thoughts?

thanks, Dave

Nice fuze Dave.
I've lost count of the number of times I've come across nicely sectioned items where the crucial bit of information was stamped on the cut out bit that has long since gone.
Dave.

thanks Tim, thats what I was thinking and without the time scale I am leaning towards the L7A MkI

Dave

I think they do it on purpose Dave, just to annoy & confuse those who come across them later.

Dave

and whilst a quick clean removed most of the loose paint, it better displays the components and materials used in its construction.

Attachments

• 100_4228.jpg
    100_4228.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_4229.jpg
    100_4229.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_4230.jpg
    100_4230.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 31
This is an instructional piece produced for use in a classroom which has been cut to specification to illustrate certain points and red paint was applied to delineate various areas. The instructor who had provided the piece and knew exactly what it was had no though of the future collector and cut off the fuze type, lot number, manufacturer etc. so vital for his collection, in order to have the desired orientation.

yes thats often the case when cutting fuzes, to correctly show the internals, some of the stamping has to be sacrificed. Now what did he do with the bit he cut off I wonder!

It was of no interest and went in the bin, but I expect some avid collector has it and is wondering where the rest is.

yes, you see that on ebay, people in Poland sell the cut off part separately to the main sectioned part. You have to laugh!

_20180808_163348.jpgDr_20180808_163348.jpg_20180808_163324.jpg
Would this happen to be an early one of these with the engraved number and RLI in marker pen, I've had it a while but never known what it is.
Thanks Andy.