What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ammunition finds at Berneval France

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I am looking for information about findings of ammunition at Saint-Martin Plage, 76370 Saint-Martin-en-Campagne and Le Petit Berneval, 76370 Berneval-le-Grand.

There have been two large attacks by RAF Bomber Command The first on 8/9 May 1944 by 32 Halifaxes and 7 Mosquitoes and the second attack on 2/3 June 1944 by 103 Lancasters and 4 Mosquitoes on a German Radar Jamming Station

Greetings - Antoon

First answer, apparently from a logbook :

" June 1944: Op 3: Lancaster R2: F/O Bennet/Crew
Pilot’s comments: Berneval W/T station. Bomb load 12000 lbs H.E. Slight flack and Searchlights.
Navigator’s comments: Berneval, We bombed a radar station with 12000 lb of H.E. This was on the coast of occupied France between Bolougne and Calais. Slight flak (A.A. fire) and searchlights but no fighters seen.
Mid-Upper Gunner’s comments: Berneval Le Grand, France - Bombed at 9000’ Carried cookie plus 1000 pounders H.E. Objective was a radar station reported to have been interfering with our radar controlled mosquitoes. Opposition was practically nil. Light flak. Three hours and forty five minutes. A/C all back.
Incidental: 103 Lancasters and 4 Mosquitos of Nos 1 and 8 Groups attacked a radar-jamming station at Berneval with great accuracy and without loss"

Yoda

Youdamaster,
Thank for the reply. I know the bomb loads. A lot of cookies en 500 lb. GP and MC bombs, but no 1000-pounders. I am interested if the Service de Deminage have dealt with some bombs there and were the bombs were found.

Greetings - Antoon

Research is busy ! I asked the question on another source, wait, wait, wait,...
Apparently, the Protection Civile is not about findings of unexploded bombs. Probably the Marine and his Plongeurs-démineurs.

Yoda

Yoda,
Dropped 8/9 May 1944:
110 x 1000 lb. MC
365 x 500 lb. GP
6 x 250 T.I.

Dropped 2/3 June 1944:
101 x 4000 lb. HC
689 x 500 lb. MC
927 x 500 lb. GP
9 x 250 lb. T.I.

Source: National Archives London: AIR 14/2678 en AIR 14/2679.

So there have must been some UXO's

Greetings - Antoon