What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Naval 16"/50 handling cart.

Yeah, and while it makes sense from a practical standpoint, from a safety view moving it while on the cart seems like a very bad idea. Too much weight, too high, too many points of potential failure. Good luck if you go through with it.

I agree with US Subs.

The trailer sides do not look very strong.

You need to load the shell solidlly against the headboard so it cannot move forward in the event of an accident.

If the headboard is the same as the sides it won't be strong enough. If the trailer is long then you cannot load the shell against the headboard as the tow bar weight will be too heavy.

If you run into another vehicle, there is a real risk that the shell will end up in the back of the towing vehicle, unless loaded very securely.

Thank you for the concern and advice. It prompts me to apply overkill. The auto hauler trailer is 15 ft long, load will be centered on the front axle group. I plan to 1) screw in chocks on the tires/ trailer bed 2) use trucker chains securing the axles to the bed frame 3) use two 5K lb air cargo straps across the cart frame anchoring to the bed frame.4) One 5K strap inside the shell from nose to base , with the other two 5K straps securing shell to cart. 5) Towed by a Dodge Cummings diesel pick up 6) movement early in the morning 0600. Trip is 16 miles, 55 mph.....5 5K straps, two chains, chocks....lots of coffee, maybe even a cigarette or two...I am committed, the show must go on.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 14
Opinion time. 1) trucker chained rear axle and blocked to prevent fwd movement ( accident). 2) 2 5K straps across each tire at the axle, one 5K across the front axle. 3) one 5K through the inside anchoring the shell/cart assembly to the chains / trailer. Holding the shell onto the cart- two 5K straps ( yellow), one 4K lengthwise through the inside, ( plus the other one through the inside). Are we good?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 25
Made it there for the Delta Airlines Vet event, more pics on a seperate Vet Day thread...looked good in front of Delta's CEO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 29
Well Done & Bad Ass! Incredible effort and skill making this happen to honor our, VET HEROES!

Jason