Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    what were you doing with the projectiles(in the second photo) in the middle of the desert?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 600 Posts
    That photo is one that I found on the internet. I'm guessing it was taken at Yuma Proving Ground. They do lot acceptance testing and long term storage testing for the ammunition. They have a ground mounted 16 inch rifle there. By the way the projos are standing adjacent to each other it looks like a sympathetic detonation test. They would detonate the submunition projo to see if it will detonate the other two.
    Last edited by HAZORD; 14th September 2018 at 09:40 AM.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HAZORD For This Useful Post:

Lostround (14th September 2018)

Thanks
    I don't recall seeing a photo that shows which fuze is under the fuze cap of 917601's projectile. As Hazord indicated yesterday, the fuze adapter for the submunition projectile is different from that of the high explosive projectile. The main difference is that the submunition adapter is threaded for a 2"-12 tpi fuze and the HE adapter is threaded for a 1.700"-14 tpi fuze. Perhaps 917601 can show or tell us what's underneath his fuze cap/protector.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lostround For This Useful Post:

917601 (14th September 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostround View Post
    I don't recall seeing a photo that shows which fuze is under the fuze cap of 917601's projectile. As Hazord indicated yesterday, the fuze adapter for the submunition projectile is different from that of the high explosive projectile. The main difference is that the submunition adapter is threaded for a 2"-12 tpi fuze and the HE adapter is threaded for a 1.700"-14 tpi fuze. Perhaps 917601 can show or tell us what's underneath his fuze cap/protector.
    What I have, ( the previous owner said the thought fuze was not correct). The adapter is aluminum ( a reproduction I assumed) and the fuze that threads into the adapter is 2 and 5/16th inch OD. The fuze that screws into the adapter is marked , Fuze, MK 71, Mod 15. On to the base - threading is only 1/2" deep threading. No evidence of any shear pins ( internet examples) that would hold the absent base plate. I pulled a few internet diagrams up and noticed the flat spot and channeling as in my example, definitely designed for a " pusher plate", but no shear pins, only 2 channels and 4 threads 1/2 " deep. Any ideas as to the MK number? If identified exactly, I would consider doing a repaint ( with the correct Fed Standard colors) no small job. My thanks for your continued replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 917601; 14th September 2018 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Bingo, I spent time running numbers. I believe to have identified this positively. NSN 1320-01-328-1954, D875, Mk 146, Mod 2. The Number " 53711" on the driving band is the cage code. Internet search pulls up a 16"", D875 Mod 2, threaded base, payload 666 M46 grenades. See supporting evidence, now I need a picture of the color scheme, lettering.... a few M46 grenades, and an M724 fuze....many thanks for discovering it is not an ordinary HE, but an ICM ( never thought twice about the interior channeling).
    Last edited by 917601; 15th September 2018 at 12:25 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 600 Posts
    917601 had posted photos of the fuze in this tread:http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...-1700-lb-projo

These photos, in which the fuze looks like a proximity version.

The first submunition projectiles were reworked HE projectiles. Those used a fuze adaptor ring that would screw into your existing aluminum adaptor, and accept a 2 inch 12TPI Army fuze. You just need to get one of those or make one.
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HAZORD For This Useful Post:

Lostround (15th September 2018)

Thanks
    yes I figured those projectiles were ready for some sort of test,seeing as they are miles from anywhere and look wired up

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345