What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Naval 16"/50 handling cart.

So, I have this 16"/50 sitting around and want to display it at events. I need a cart, not just any cart, so I found this surplus one with 3500 lb axle hubs, solid rubber tires, well constructed, (cost me so far $50,an extra large pizza and wings, and a lot of gas). Plan is to winch it on to a trailer for transport. Weight with projo and cart , 1600 lbs plus 400 lbs cart, one ton even. For interest, I will post progress....I promised an organization I would bring the 16"/50 to their Veterans Day celebration in November.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I would suggest some type of cradle on the cart, lined with a soft material to avoid scratching your brand new paint job. Otherwise, its going to get all scratched up. Once it's in the cradle, it needs some cargo straps to hold it tight in place.

Yes, like that.

Is that a Hydrogen projectile? It seems to float up to the ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In the works, planning on 3 4x4s load bearing, anchored to the frame with 3/4" threaded rod, and 4x4 wedges with 3/4" securing rod , I have a few air cargo 5k lb. straps laying around to winch it down tight. Scratches are going to happen ( ashame it was not painted in FS Standard OD), but once it is on the cart, I do not plan on ever taking it off....this is a bigger project than I anticipated, the projo will have to be lifted on/off numerous times....one step at a time....hopefully completed by 10 November. All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Super cool idea, but even cooler that you are doing all of this to support Veteran causes and America's awesomeness !

Jason

Super cool idea, but even cooler that you are doing all of this to support Veteran causes and America's awesomeness !

Jason
Two thoughts, being in during Carter's army , I honored my father's service in WW2 ( Infantryman) as extraordinary times, extraordinary soldiers ( drafted). This is impressed heavily on my 11 year old son at every parade, Airshow and event ( the wife and daughter have no understanding or respect). At the very least he " understands" service and patriotism, as good things and just maybe when grown can carry on? That said, Jeeps, deuce and a halfs, etc are dime a dozen, but Ordnance always brings good reviews and new interest. I will do my part while I am still around but public interest is dying quickly, in fact, the senior CAF Colonel I just talked to estimated in ten years most all their warbirds will be non fly able static displays due to lack of volunteers and funds. My current plans are once mounted on the cart, move it into the Falcon Field Dixie Wing hangar for display and move it around to local events.

Coming along, I am using tools I have not touched in 15 years....still figuring how a one man operation will get the shell on the cart with an engine hoist- one time, one shot so I do not have to repeat lifting on / off. Right now, painting the cart and blocks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm noticing that your resting surface is getting higher up off the ground. The higher you get it, the greater the chance that it will seek to rest on the ground, with possible disastrous results. You might want to consider a redesign to a lower rest like U.S. Subs has done for his 16 inch projo.

Attachments

• DSCN6074.jpg
    DSCN6074.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I'm noticing that your resting surface is getting higher up off the ground. The higher you get it, the greater the chance that it will seek to rest on the ground, with possible disastrous results. You might want to consider a redesign to a lower rest like U.S. Subs has done for his 16 inch projo.
I have the same thoughts. It is will be sitting on the 4x4's, which are 24" high. That means the CG would be 24 plus 8 = 32" high. The rear wheels are 32" wide. ( any engineers here that can calculate the tipping angle in degrees?- 45 degrees?)This cart is surplus, heavy duty, and I do not have the means to redo it. It is suited to winch up onto a trailer when displaying it.I had decided to minimize injury if it tips over by making sure it will not leave the cart and roll away....two, maybe three 5K lb air cargo straps must be used to keep it firmly secured to the cart when moving it. I plan to use chains securing the cart to the trailer when driving. I am still open to lowering at least one set of wheels, angled as pictured...serious business.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
that's a lot of weight to have almost 3ft of the ground,couldnt you drop the frame down to the axle height and widen the steering axle so it still turns
or better still get one like this then you wouldn't have to worry about it!
made from foam for the 2002 movie pearl harbor,they made 13 of them

Attachments

• P1030571.JPG
    P1030571.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030572.JPG
    P1030572.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 40
The detail that you don't own the means to lower the CG does not mean that the means don't exist in 100 places around your home town. You also might google the machines that are used for moving safes and other heavy items to get some ideas. They even have models that climb and descend stairs.

BTW, the colors on that projectile on the cart have to be the most hideous examples I've seen. I know its not your fault. And, the fuze would not be yellow.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it looks great too. It just also looks dangerously high.
Your concerns are taken seriously. My concern is when trailering it and driving, on the ground pushing it around and in static display I am not much concerned. I do have access to an entire department of engineers, I will consult with them on figuring up a "max do not exceed" lateral tipping angle. Thanks to all for comments and concerns, serious business.

Last edited:
As an added note, the larger the diameter of the tires, and the harder they are will make it much easier to pull on soft surfaces and over cracks. I know you can buy larger diameter solid tires. They sell them at Harbor Freight to go on Dollys snf Wheel Barrows.

Getting closer to D-Day. Painted, except for the yellow tow bar assy, almost ready for projectile placement. Planning on a full day to get it dropped into place. Base will go at the tow bar end.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I would put some felt on the wooden beams at the shells contact surfaces. this will prevent damage to the paint and wooden blocks. Besides that, it will add a kind of friction between the shell and lorry.

Took about 4 hours to get it on the cart. No scrapes, dings, etc....still work to do, eye bolts for retaining straps, cart to trailer tie down points, etc....an engineer worked out a NE (never exceed) 30 degrees tipping point, 45 minus 15 for safety, ....amazingly, I can push it around by myself. Mounted it single handedly except for having to drag it forward to center the CG.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg