What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British number 1 grenade

SG500

Premium Member
I'm one of these people who learns best by taking things to bits, then hopefully putting them together so here's the start of a number 1 project.

Before I get started restoring it, does anyone know what the standard lettering on the number 1 grenades was? This one appears to have the remains of some letters in black print.

IMG_3329.jpgIMG_3328.jpgIMG_3327.jpgIMG_3330.jpgIMG_3331.jpgIMG_3332.jpgIMG_3333.jpg

The remains of the handle are in 2 parts, the cane section pushes into the wood part and is held in place with a small piece of dowel.
Would I be right in assuming this is one of the long handle types that has been cut down?

IMG_3337.JPGIMG_3336.jpgIMG_3335.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
mvc-015s.jpgmvc-016s.jpgmvc-017s.jpg

Dave . Here's pics of a MkIII with original markings . I don't think the Mk1 would have been a lot different . The marks show the maker , E&S in this case for Edison & Swan & the filling date 4/16 . The remains of the marks on your example look like part of the date . I would assume there is probably a content mark like 20/80 or similar somewhere . The 2 piece handle could mean it's a cut down long one but they did make new short handles out of 2 pieces as well . Is the top plate where the det goes attached by 3 tiny screws or soldered in place ? Hope this helps . Mike

View attachment 145346View attachment 145347View attachment 145348

Dave . Here's pics of a MkIII with original markings . I don't think the Mk1 would have been a lot different . The marks show the maker , E&S in this case for Edison & Swan & the filling date 4/16 . The remains of the marks on your example look like part of the date . I would assume there is probably a content mark like 20/80 or similar somewhere . The 2 piece handle could mean it's a cut down long one but they did make new short handles out of 2 pieces as well . Is the top plate where the det goes attached by 3 tiny screws or soldered in place ? Hope this helps . Mike

Thanks Mike, its attached with 3 tiny screws, that happen to be missing. Not soldered.

Dave.

Dave . Could well be an early long handled one in that case . It would be nice if you can decipher the date !

Does anyone know the length of each of the 4 streamers on the short handled number 1 please?

Apologies in advance to the purists, as the relic in the first post of this thread was so rough it was destined for the scrap bin I decided to try my hand at restoration.
The frag ring, once rust treated was brittle so got filled and the frag rings re cut (the observant of you will note that the grooves aren't cut as deep as on genuine frag rings).
The end of the original pin was snapped so I made a new one out of 3mm bar brass. The hardest part was cutting the slot in it for the leather tab.
The thin leather safety tab to hold the brass pin in place was made from an off cut of leather.
The handle was bought in
The repro copper det in the top was bought in.
The missing brass belt hook was made out of 3mm bar brass.
The streamers are dressmakers tape off ebay, complete with the correct herringbone pattern.
The tacks to hold the streamers in place are carpet tacks and are remarkably similar in appearance to the original copper ones that were in the original handle.
Its deliberately not aged as I'm not setting out to make a fake, just restore something that otherwise would not have survived much longer.
It fills a gap until I track down a nice real one.
Dave.

IMG_3404.jpgIMG_3397.jpgIMG_3398.jpgIMG_3399.jpgIMG_3400.jpgIMG_3401.jpgIMG_3402.jpgIMG_3403.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job , Dave . Very impressed . Funnily enough , some modern copper tacks seem to be identical in construction to the Edwardian ones . I assume the simple process of manufacturing them has not been improved upon by new technology . Shame more things aren't like that ! Mike .

Very nice, I believe you did the right thing, the starting base being so damaged, it didn' make any sense to make it look old, and I agree it fills a gap in the collection until the real one turns up.
Very impressed with your work.
Bravo!
Frank.

you have done a wonderful restoration there my friend. It should always keep pride of place in your collection even if you do manage to get hold of a better one. Very impressed at the standard of your work.

Andy.

So anyway I've been doing my bit keeping "social distance" today and spent some time fiddling around with some number 1 bits.

The picture shows the main components of a British number 1 grenade.

1 The thin brass cup that fits over the end of the wooden handle. This then slides into the main body of the grenade.
2 The brass disc that is soldered in position between the cup that fits over the handle and the main charge.
3 The main body of the grenade
4 The detonator housing. This screws into the main body of the grenade with 3 small screws.
5 The detonator.
6 The cap. This consists of a cap with a lead washer inside, through which is fitted the steel striker. The rim of the cap has a separate profiled edge that is fitted over the edge of the cap.
7 The belt clip that is soldered onto the body of the grenade (I realise one piece is snapped off but you get the general idea :)).
8 Frag ring
9 The 3 small screws that fit the detonator housing onto the main body of the grenade (the astute among you will realise they are repro's. Originals being shorter and made of steel)
10 The brass pin that fits through the cap. It is secured in place with a string which in turn is secured with a small leather tab on a string.
11 The main screws that fix the wooden handle to the main body of the grenade
12 The hardwood plug that the cane handle fits into
13 The cane handle that fits into the hardwood plug
14 The 4 x cloth streamers that are fitted to the hardwood plug with small tacks

Dave.

IMG_4196.jpg