What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 inch Mk 3 Drill projectile

Andy Naude

A flee market find by a friend.

I am assuming that this would have been for the seperate loading Mk 3 to . These were used by the South African Navy. i dont think we ever used any fixed 4.45 inch rounds.

The projectile is filled with what looks like charcoal.

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

LdYRJFGFSXaJnJ9EgN7Osg_thumb_344.jpg4sGnwatsSzqpjsaZvza3TQ_thumb_346.jpgG03TpeQfSD67z2mH426UNg_thumb_345.jpgAndy. Nice to see a Mk3 Drill. I show my Mk11 Drill. It is only marked on the base:

C DRILL 4.5 in Mk 11 A N I 3-49. MO so it is Australian Navy Cast Iron by Maribyrnong Ordnance 1949. Black painted. Cast iron.

No. It is all steel. Are you sure yours is a Drill round? Yellow band inert filled usually means Practice I thought.

Hi Ron

The photo is a bit confusing. The "yellow" band is a brass band. The "pink" is a copper band.

The driving band is skimmed and the outside diameter is reduced too allowing the projectile to slide through the gun bore without sticking. The brass piece at the bourelette is to prevent wear to the rifling as the projectile is rammed.

gravelbelly

Some more info on my MK11 Drill. It has no band but you can see the brass piece at the bourelette. I forgot to mention this.

Andy, great photos, thanks for posting. I have one of these, in pitted condition but have never been able to fully decipher the text on the body. I could read DRILL and 4.5, but nothing more. By comparing your photo with mine, I can make out more text and discover it is dated '57 also. You'll see mine has taken a bit of battering and has lost its lower driving band.4.5 inch shell.jpg