What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown fuze Early 1900s / WW1

Hello,
Look like a part of a time and percussion fuze (top and central), krupp design.
Regards

Example doppz04 and No 59 (shorter part)

doppz04.jpg04.jpg

krupp.jpg

Sorry, I did not see this thread earlier.

I don't think that this is a part of a Krupp fuze. On the side there's the part of the needle visible which is typical for Erhardt (Van Essen) design. It also looks like it's lower part is a gaine for HE shells? Maybe part of a early Rheinmetall/Erhardt fuze for universal shells (Granatschrapnell). If so it has the nearly same function as in the picture of MINENAZ16 but it's made by Rheinmetall.

Is it possible, that you can meassure the thread diameter and pitch and overal diameter of this fuze? The fuze pitch is for sure a Withworth thread and non metrical.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not see this thread earlier.

I don't think that this is a part of a Krupp fuze. On the side there's the part of the needle visible which is typical for Erhardt (Van Essen) design. It also looks like it's lower part is a gaine for HE shells? Maybe part of a early Rheinmetall/Erhardt fuze for universal shells (Granatschrapnell). If so it has the nearly same function as in the picture of MINENAZ16 but it's made by Rheinmetall.

Is it possible, that you can meassure the thread diameter and pitch and overal diameter of this fuze? The fuze pitch is for sure a Withworth thread and non metrical.

Here a drawing with the dimensions.

Best regards

perkussionszdr.jpg

The Krupp primers had a 20 mm x 1/16" (16 tpi) thread. So thread pitch in metrical numbers would be ~1,59 mm.

The thread of your fuze should have a 1/24" (24 tpi) thread (1,06mm). At the time when the fuze was made, metrical thread pitches did not exist in Germany. The first metrical threads where introduced in the 1920's. That's just valid for the thread pitch and the diametral pitch of gears. Diameters and lengths started to be "metricalized" since the late 1860's.

Sorry that I cannot say more about your fuze. Information about early Rhenimetall fuzes is very hard to find.

Last edited: