What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown 75mm shrapnel shell

Darkman

A friend has this 75mm shrapnel shell that we can't identify. Originally we thought it was a French shell because the ogive appears identical to a French shrapnel, but we quickly discounted that as the driveband is way down at the bottom, so presumably it is a separate loading shell. Did France have a separate loading 75mm gun?

It's shown alongside what we believe is an actual French 75 without ogive and it's the same height, but you can see the driveband differences. It's also had some holes drilled in it for mounting I assume.

I've also shown a photo of a complete French shrapnel to compare the similarity of the ogive.

Can anyone identify this shell?

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 75.2.jpg
    75.2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 75.3.jpg
    75.3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 75.4.jpg
    75.4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 75.5.jpg
    75.5.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 75.6.jpg
    75.6.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 43
  • French 75mm shrapnel.jpg
    French 75mm shrapnel.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 49
Hello,
I know this shell as a French 75mm shrapnel for mountain gun.
I'm not at home and I can't post a diagram of a similar shell from Schneider factory (Schneider model : length without fuze 278mm, base to band 11mm)
Regards

Last edited: